Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP-205 T Case lost 2 wheel High ... Help Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, May 3, 2004.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

I have a NP-205 in a custom frame 4x4. When installed it shifted as expected. I backed out of the shop today to clean up, the NP-205 was in 4 wheel high. When I went to pull it back in, I shifted to 2 wheel high, and I am in a netural condition. Yet, if I shift it forward to the next detent, I have the netural position, further forward to the next detent I have 4 wheel lo. Any ideas why I am getting a netural condition in the 2 wheel hi position. Any tips that may save removal of the T case, time is short for when I need it complete.

Thanks

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Have you ground the shift rails for a twin-stick setup? Is it the stock shifter or a custom shifter setup?

Chris

3. ks2krpt

The shifter on the NP-205 T case is Bone Stock. I fab'ed my own shift lever and rod to the T case.

Paul

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I had that problem and it was in my linkage. I had used my 79 linkage on a 74 case. Try taking everything loose and just shifting the individual rails.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you should be able to open the PTO cover and see the shiftclutch condition
    the higher rail operates that shiftclutch
    move the rail out to get high

I agree with the linkage as the suspect

6. ks2krpt

I agree with the linkage issue. The NP-205 shifted fine out of the truck. Then I fab'ed the shifter and rod. It appeared to shift, but yesterday was the first time I moved it under its own power. So I can not say it ever shifted properly after install with the shifter/rod.

The part I dont understand is that the single lever shift is a straight line movement. Since it will shift lever will move all the way back and engage 4x4 hi range, and then move all the way forward and engage 4x4 low range, then why would it not shift into 2x4 hi range, its inbetween the max throws. What am I missing ??

What is the proper adjustment of the shift linkage on the NP-205

Thanks, really appreciate your help

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I have some pics of the shift likage in the 4 different positions on my web page in the conversion album. Might help. Albums

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I had this same problem on my 205. I couldn't figure it out, so I just took it apart, rebuilt it and twin sticked it. Now, it shifts so much easier when it's seperate, it's hard to miss a shift point.
    I would do that, just to make life easier....(just a suggestion)
    Boss

9. ks2krpt

I am a fool, all is OK

I have been at this project 2 years, which is 1 year to long. Here is/was the problem. When I fab'ed my shifter, I mounted it on the new cross member I built to support the rear of the NV-4500. Now my Shifter is about 7 inches in front of the NP-205. Since its in front, the geometry changed. Every thing has reversed. 4x4 hi is all the way forward, then 2x4, then netural, then 4x4 low. This is why when I would pull the shifter all the way back for 4x4 high, then push it forward one detent, I was truly in netural. WHat a deal. Since I am the only driver, its not a problem. I want to thank all who responded, I could not see the woods for the trees. I had it out running up and down my 400 foot drive today. It shifts where it should be and runs great. I am off to take my medications with warm milk ha ha . Thanks again.