Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 205 + TH 350 = Good Combo?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Unholy_Advocate, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Unholy_Advocate

Unholy_Advocate Registered Member

Is it worth mating a NP 205 to a TH 350 or should I go to a 700R4?

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

350/205 is a pretty good combo that will handle all but the largest of tires and engines. An even stronger combo would th a TH400/205 setup, this is virtually indestructable. The TH700/205 combo can be built to be just as strong as the 350 combo but has the advantages on overdrive and a lower first gear, but is a bit more expensive. It all really comes down to how you're going to use the truck, what you have access to and what your personal preference is. You never really know how long your setup is going to last though. I have a th350/203 combo in my Blazer and haven't had any reliability problems despite a cracked transmission case, a very heavy foot and five coast-to-coast trips, some towing cars and trailers.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The real problem here is finding a 205 that will bolt to a a TH350. Only a few years that there was any decent production of that version. 72, 74, and 80. the 80 models had a slip yoke design that is not as desirable but probaly the easiest to find and still much stonger than 208s and 203.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I run this set up and love it. It only cost me $350 to rebiuld the tranny were the 700 will run you alot more.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This is the way mine came and I think its great. The only thing I don't like is the low range isn't very low. Although, once I get my new gears in it should't be as bad.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com