Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 205

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazokon, Dec 22, 2003.

1. blazokon

blazokon Registered Member

Hey guys i need a little help. Is the np 205 in my 72 blazer full time 4wd. My front yoke on the trnasfer is always spinning. Is is soleniod operated. The lever seems to only go forward and backwards, I don't have the knob for it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

it's a part time unit, if your still spinning check you locking hubs.
    4-high is one up (forward) from neutral, low is (back)
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

how hard is it spinning? it will spin some driving just because of the closeness of the gears and the thick fluid, you'll be able to tell if something is engaged or if it's just barely moving.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Since you are missing the knob, here is the shift pattern:

(Dash)
    4-LO
    N
    2-HI
    4-HI
    (Seat)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blazokon

blazokon Registered Member

I failed to mention that the front drive shaft is missing. Should it still be spinning. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

ok with the front drive shaft missing and the front yoke still spining...it is very normal for the front to spin with no power behind it meanig you could put you hand there and you could stop it....I knew a guy that had a 69 4x4 stepside and when in 2hi and hubs unlocked I could still see his axle shafts at the knuckes spining very slowly when driving...

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I don't think I'd reach up there with MY hand to see if I could stop it when it's spinning. Recommend checking if you can spin it when the engine is off. It might save a few fingers if the case is engaged... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all 205 and 208 were part time, its the 203 that were full time and have that info on the label on backside of driver side sun visor from factory if they are factory full time truck(203)

a little spinning motion of the front yoke with shaft removed would be normal, just a drag motion from the internal moving parts and oil moving inside and such

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I agree with the way the 203, 205, and 208 operate. Just think it's safer to check it with the engine off. I have this thing about grabbing machinery that's still spinning. Just my .02 worth.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think I'd reach up there with MY hand to see if I could stop it when it's spinning. Recommend checking if you can spin it when the engine is off. It might save a few fingers if the case is engaged... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that if the driveshafts are spinning.....the truck is probably ALSO moving!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Good point...