Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 Adjustment needed?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Oct 20, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

4hi keeps slipping out to 2wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif It's grabbing if I hold the shifter in 4hi. 4Lo doesn't slip out. I know where the link is but I'm not sure what to do with it. Anyone know what I should do?

Also, it started grinding when I'd move it in and out throught the t-case gears. When I put it back in 2wheel to leave the park, I drove for about a mile and it sounded like my t-case was still engaged (sp). So I pulled over and moved it in and out of 4 and it finally stopped.

I'm I gonna need a new t-case? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

You're help is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks,

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

When I was up there, I was having problems with mine popping out of 4lo. As for the other thing, I have that problem too, I just drive backwards a few feet and everything disengages.

3. MilpitasK5

Okay, I'll do the reverse deal next time. That's what I was told before but forgot about that. Isn't that the same for getting in and out of 4w?
    So how do I get it to stay in 4wd? What was up with the grinding? That was a horrid noise /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.
    Thanks for the input! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

It could be your sliding clutch.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

when you pull it past 4 hi and into N, can you feel it "click" in but not lign up on the 4hi position? if so just move the linkage a bit either way till it works correctly
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Is your transfer case lowered?

7. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I am currently having this problem right NOW. I just havent had to time to work on it yet as I'm preping the truck to paint it this week.

Someone told me its the range forks and its best to buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. The kit is roughly 100 bucks. They said you dont even have to remove the t-case.

8. milspecjimmy

i just rebuilt my t case when it was still on the truck. hope you have strong arms, putting in the main shaft with the planetary on it and trying to align the forks and slip in to rod all at once while on your back is a royal bi*ch. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. MilpitasK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It could be your sliding clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If this is the case. What happens then?

when you pull it past 4 hi and into N, can you feel it "click" in but not lign up on the 4hi position? if so just move the linkage a bit either way till it works correctly

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think I could try that. I'm not exactly sure what it feels like when I pull it back to N though.

Is your transfer case lowered?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. Come to think of it. It didn't start happening till I lowered my t-case.

Rebuilding sounds fairly easy but I'm hoping I don't have to do that!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'll do what I have to though! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. MilpitasK5

i just rebuilt my t case when it was still on the truck. hope you have strong arms, putting in the main shaft with the planetary on it and trying to align the forks and slip in to rod all at once while on your back is a royal bi*ch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone told me its the range forks and its best to buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. The kit is roughly 100 bucks. They said you dont even have to remove the t-case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is the best place to buy the rebuild kit? If I need to go that route!

I definitely need to fix the prob before the snow comes b/c I'll be unpacking my snowboard soon here...

Thanks for all your input folks! Keep 'em coming!

11. milspecjimmy

i have a friend at a tranny shop who got me the parts CHEAP
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

You lowered the T-case. Did you readjust your shift linkage? If you didn't that is your problem. I had the exact same problem a while back. Your linkage will be to short, you will need to lenghthen it, any descent repair manual should tell you how to do it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Check your linkage BEFORE you go through rebuilding it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Chances are there is nothing wrong internally

13. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

why do you need to readjust the linkage when you lower the case? doesnt it just drop down through the floor more? my is doing the same thing too since i lowered mine but didnt think that dropping the case would have caused it.... im def interested to know

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The shifter on the 208 isn't attached to the case, it's attached to the floor of the truck. So when you lower the case, you change the distance between the shifter and the case. Make the linkage longer and all should be well again. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i see now.. gotta fix that

16. MilpitasK5

Make the linkage longer and all should be well again.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Okay, I kinda get it but how do I make it longer? Does it have to do with the two nuts with a box between them on the linkage? I was fiddling with that today but not much. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    This site rocks!! I say this everytime I post and get responses but I alwasy get so hyped that I get so much help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

OMG, now i know why mine may do that LOL.

Instead of t-case being lowered, my crossmember that holds T-Case was BENT backwards. I'm sure this caused T-Case to either lower, or Raise a bit.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. You found it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Adjust that linkage so that the block moves down until the t-case shifts correctly. If you lowered the t-case a lot, you may need to cut the linkage and weld in a piece to make it long enough to reach the new position. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. MilpitasK5

If you lowered the t-case a lot, you may need to cut the linkage and weld in a piece to make it long enough to reach the new position.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Okay! Thanks! I'll move it the block today. I only lowered it one inch. I used the stock spacers. That shouldn't be too much, right?

20. MilpitasK5

Okay, I got it adjusted to what I think is right. I haven't tried it out yet but it seems to be pretty loose still (like it'll fall out of gear still). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I found something that doesn't look too good though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. There is a wire/cable that goes from the back of the t-case where the rear drive shaft is hooked up (sorry don't know the terms), and it leads to the driver side firewall. It was sitting on my exhaust pipe and it's burnt /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. I can see the inside of it and it looks in tact but will I need to replace this wire/cable? What is it and what does it do? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Thanks for all of your help!!