Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 leaks sometimes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The Loner, Aug 4, 2002.

1. The Loner

The Loner Registered Member

My truck has the 208. There is atf all on the floor above the rear output seal and on the yoke. Not just a little, but a pretty good amount. However, the seal is dry, and there are no drips on the driveway. I was wondering if the seal needs to be replaced, or if this sort of thing was normal when the vehicle gets wheeled? Like it leaks when the suspension is flexed and the driveshaft is being pulled on. The rear has 3.5" lift and the driveshaft was not lengthened, just t-case drop, so that might be the problem. I checked the fluid level, it was not real low. TIA--B

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

had the same problem, and abunch of other guys also. check the yoke. not the seals. between the ears is a metal cap sorta like a freeze plug. they press it in after they mill the splines, and after a while it will leak. some guys have taken them out and cleaned and filled with lead, epoxy, and lots of other ideas, but for $40 you can buy a new, and swwap the ujoints while your there i even tried to weld mine up, very unsuccesfully. a good test was to remove driveshaft intact, and clean inside of yoke, and 1/2 fill with water, and blow into the end of the yoke. add some food color to the water and it makes it alot easier to find the leak.

3. The Loner

The Loner Registered Member

Sounds pretty easy. I'm just wondering if it's even worth the $40? It's not leaking that much and it's not hard to top off every now and then. Thanks for the response.--B

4. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

JB Weld is a common solution for this.