Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MOABDADC22, Jan 16, 2005.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

After my run in the snow (and on the drive to the snow), I had alot of problems with my 208.

I was driving on the freeway when it slipped into N. This has happened a few times in the last week. I found that if I pull over, put the transmisssion into N then shift into 4L.......then drive a few feet, I can shift back into 2H and be good to go.

After playing in the snow in 4L all day, I unlocked the hubs, shifted into 2H and tried to drive. It felt like the t-case was in 2H and 4L at the same time:confused::confused::confused::confused:. I had to monkey with the shifter inside the cab, going back and forth with the shifter, then driving a few inches forward, for about 20 minutes before it went into 2H again. I did crawl under the K5 and there was nothing interfering with the linkage and everything is tight (adjusting nut, bushings, nuts, bolts, etc.):confused::confused:

Now, any time I put it into 4H, N, 4L, it acts like it is in low and high range at the same time. :eek1:

I am not 100% sure the t-case linkage is properly adjusted, and i think that is where the problem lies. Any tips on adjusting it?

Anyone else have any similar problems?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The easy way to find out if it is the linkage or not is to climb under the truck and disconnect the linkage. Then shift into 4 hi or lo manually with a set of channel locks or wrench. If it drives fine shifting it manually then it might be the linkage.

If not then I would venture to guess that the problem is in the range or mode forks inside the tcase. If one is badly worn it may not be engaging the shifting mechanism very well and be causing your problems. The only way to find that out though is to drop the case, open it up, and tear it apart. they are not very hard to tear apart and reassemble as long as you have half a brain and some mechanical ability.

Harley