Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208. Shoud I even bother?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I need new shafts. I Just installed a 14 bolt FF + 3/4 ton 10 bolt and 38" tires. I aslo have a 454. Am I wasting my time with a 208 or should I be looking for a 205 before I buy new costum shafts. In the future I might go as big as 39" but thats about it. I do have a spare NP208 if this one explodes and I know there are tons in scrap yards if I need another. Who out there wheels with a setup like mine and how does the NP208 hold up? What are the chances that it will blow up with the power from the 454 and big tires? Also can you convert the front drive shaft on a 208 to fit on a 203or205 if I got new shaft now and decided to switch to one of these or a doubler later. Do you guys thing the 208 is a good alternative to a doubler because it cheap and the low range is kinda in between the doublers 2 and 4 ranges? Is this transfer case underrated? I know the 205 in super strong but is it even worth it if you have a couple free 208's already? + its a much better low range.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would run it until it breaks , which it may not for a while if you don't hammer on it in 4lo .

Also , later transfercases from 77 on have the 4 bolt flange , so you can keep your front driveshaft if you use a newer case ( I have one of each style 203 sitting on the garage floor ) .

And if you buy shafts now , and go doubler later , you will need to modify the shafts anyway , 1 longer , 1 shorter .

3. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

just make a good skid plate for it the aluminum case doesnt like rocks. I am keeping mine, I clocked it and now I need to make a skid plate for it. The only thing I dont like about it is they dont make a SYE for it.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a 496/th400/np208 w/ 35s, aint broke the 208 yet, (knock on wood), or the front 10bolt *shocked*, but the th400 hasnt faired so well, hope ole #4 holds together