Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 slip yoke leaking from the inside of the yoke???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k10sub, Jan 4, 2003.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

My slip yoke is leaking from the inside of the yoke, by the u-joint. There seems to be a plug on the inside of the yoke and it is leaking t-case fluid. There was a large amount of an rtv substance trying to seal this off but wasn't working. Anybody had this problem?

Here's a pic of where it's leaking (around the circle in the yoke)

[​IMG]

2. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I had the same exact thing about 2 months ago. I went to autozone and got one of those rubber plugs that can expand when you tighten a nut on the end of it. I stuck that in there, tightened it as tight as I could, and it hasn't leaked since. I did have the U-joint off though, you'll probly need to do that. You should also heat up the yoke after you tighten it down as much as you can, so the rubber can form to fit in the splines for a better seal.

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I've had to fix a few of these. Remove the driveshaft, remove the front u-joint by that plug, use a socket on an extension to go down inside the yoke and tap the plug out from the back, use as large a socket as will fit inside the splines, drive it out straight so you don't distort the plug. clean the groove for the plug and the plug itself with carb or brake cleaner. Use no.2 perma-tex or Loc-tite gasket eliminator in the groove for the plug and tap the plug back in place. Put everything back together.

4. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Had the same problem. Take the yoke off the driveshaft and take it to the local driveshaft/machine shop and have them weld a plug into the hole. Run a bead around the hole, sealing the opening. Total cost $20.00.