Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Sep 9, 2001.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

currently running a 203 and would like to switch to the 208 for the lower ratio in 4 low....I have a parts blazer with the 350-208 combo and would like to switch just the transfer case since my t-350 is built ...will I be able to and if the tail shaft is different than mine (longer) than can I change it to my tranny to make the swap...any info would be great and if you,ve done this would you please explain how you did and how hard it was thx Mike

2. the tail shaft is longer for the 208 so without terring both trannies down and swaping tailshafts, i believe your only option, would be to get the adaptor from Advance Adaptors. its around $200. i looked into this too cause i also have a built th350 with a 203 and i've got a 208 sitting in my garage. the 203 is still working well for me so i'm going to keep her. if you do choose to use AA let me know, i'm cureouse how that would turn out.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why would you swap in a slip yoke transfer case that's weaker? Believe me, the low range is NOT worth it.

If you insist on doing it, you can cut the tailshaft. My friends have done it without any problems. It looks kinda crude, but it's possible.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I personally like the extra low of the 208. The 208 is also lighter than the 203. The only disadvantage is the slip yoke. I would just carry a spare driveshaft. I have the 208 and love it.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I'm swapping out my 208 for a 205 when I swap in my SM 465. I do like the low range sometimes, but I think the 6.34:1 granny gear will more than make up for it.

Tim

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea but imagine the low range with a 208 and a SM465. I do alot of rockcrwling so the lower the better in some cases.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

While the 205 is tough as nails, The 208 is realistically just as strong - If it survives the gonzo power of a big block Class 3 racer beating the wee out of it for 1000 miles at a time, and failures are rare, I'm impressed. Besides, your tranny will normally break before either the 205 or 208 would ever think about it.

Clean up on aisle 3!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well when i smash my 205 on a rock I don't worry about it...plus with the fixed yoke if I ruin my rear driveshaft i can just drive home in front wheel drive, instead of watching my T-case hemmorage. I had the 465 and 208...big deal.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I have a 208 in mine and I wouldnt trade it for a 205, But i would for a Doubler. What kind of transfercases are they using in the new trucks. Most are aluminum or magnesium. Why would they use them if they were so weak. I have not broke one thing on mine and i have broken numerous frontends,(damn 10 bolts) 2 front driveshafts and a Trans. I don't worry at all about the strength. There is nothing wrong with any of the transercases, 203,205,208. Just that the 208 came in mine.

10. i don't rock crawl so i'm not worried about the case breaking on a rock. i've seen several 208 in action with big blocks and 44s doing just fine. plus beign able to shift into 4 high while driving is nice in my neck of the woods. now if i lived in moab or somewhere with lots o crawlin, i'd be heading down the doubler path for sure. 208s are much lighter too. can damn neer carry one agound like a basket ball. the 203 will give a guy a hurnia(sp?). all depends on what works for you.

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Good point[​IMG] That @#$%# slip yoke is an achilles heel.

Special thanks to those lost in NY, DC and PA
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

If you can find a NP208 out of a Dodge or Jeep, you can convert it to a non-slip yoke drive shaft!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just simply trying to make you think about your idea more before you go ahead and do it.

Tim

14. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Thx for all the replies and for now i am going to stay with the 203 since I cant afford the cost of the switch and am enjoying the 2 low...sure would enjoy the lower gear as well though....any way to change the low range in the 203 to like a 2:8:1 or 3:1 something in that range??? THX

15. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

how come no one has come out with a low gear set for the 205 like they have done for the 231, 241, 300,etc.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN[​IMG]

16. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Like a 4:1 to one kit. That way you could use the doubler, a built 700-r4 and Have all the gearing you would ever need. You could put 3.08 gears and still have a 75:1 Crawl Ratio. 3.06x2x4x3.08.Thats something i would like to see.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I may be wrong but I think there's not enough room inside the case for lower gears...at least thats what I heard. Maybe you can go lower but there is a strength sacrifice...??

I'd like to see it too!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>