Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 SYE using Dodge parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by balzackks84, May 24, 2003.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

has used Dodge parts to convert the NP208 to a fixed yoke.

I just came from 4WPW and the tech guy I was talking to said it CAN'T be done. I said theres guys that have done it, to that his response is "it's impossible". And I'm pretty sure there are a couple of guys that have done it. At least they didn't go off on how I should have built a Jeep or Yota instead /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I was actually expecting something like that when they were scoping my stuff out while I was inside. But he did mention the fact that a buddy of his "built one of those the RIGHT way." Man why do I have all the bad luck when it comes to this kind of stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

REmembered something else. I spotted me some of them 40/13.5 MTRs and I'm in love. They had one on an 8 lug rim but wouldn't let my blazer try it on /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Need a show of hands of who.....

K10Andykamanic did that (I'm sure I've mispelled his user name.../forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I'm sure he has pic's too...

Rene

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't know the details, but there's a 208 sitting in the trunk of the POS Accord right now (ya, you may know whre it's at right now, but I paid some of these imbreds some of Bubba's finest woolies to watch it overnight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) that has a fixed yoke.....

And concurring with wayne, that guy he named has done this before.

4. balzackks84

I don't know why but everyone I seem to talk to knows everything about everything and are so blindly stubborn about it I want to just up and pimp slap them.

5. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

It can be done. Easily, in fact. Source the dodge parts. In Canada, the dealerships still have parts on the shelf to put new junk in your 208.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

really? what all does a felloe need to switch it? output shaft and tailshaft housing?

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You might want to try a better title to get some responses. A lot of people are intrested in this swap.

8. balzackks84

The original intention of the thread was just to make sure it has been done. But will do. Someone should do a tech article on the whole thing and make it sticky in the BK.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got all the parts to do it sitting in my shed. I bought it from K10ANDYKNAMIC. I havent gone through everything yet, but if i remember correctly it uses the dodge rear case and out put, but requires some welding to be done on the Dodge case. It isnt just a bolt in deal but isnt a problem if you can do the welding.

10. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

My buddy did this, it's not a bolt on swap. You need a spare dodge 208 to take the obvious parts from. But you need to modify the end. The dodge and chevy cases are designed differently, mostly in the bolt pattern and how the fluid flows. He did some extensive work on the dodge part to make it work with the chevy, mostly clocking it, and making the bolt pattern work. So you're going to need someone who knows how to weld aluminum. You're just gonna need to sit back and look at the parts to figure it out exactly. Might want to look into a 241 swap, get a small advantage with the low gear, and some stronger internals too. Hope this helps.

Tom

11. balzackks84

If I were to do it I would thread the output shaft, since it already has a pilot hole, and run a bolt through it. The hard part would be finding a flanged mount with the same spline count to bolt to the back of it.