Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 Transfer Case Help...please!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skaboy, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Skaboy

Skaboy Newbie

Hello:) I have a 82' K-5 Blazer and seem to be on a slipery slope of problems. I recently (two weeks ago) had to yank out my trans (700r4) and have it rebuilt. Upon putting it back in (perhaps coincidentally) my trucks transfer case (NP 208) will no longer stay in 2wd H... Instead, she pops out all together (I can hear the gears a slight bit just before she falls out), and I have to cycle all the way down to 4wd L and back up to get her to reengage and then she'll pop back out soon enough. I have checked to make sure I reattached the shifter arm tight and correct (I did) and checked the spring and detent ball (both good). What can it be! I am at a loss, spent my car repair budget on the rebuild and still have no truck to (reliably) drive. Please advise
    dan

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its just coincidence its around the time you replaced tranny . Almost dead on to what mine did for a long time , until it started grinding on the street and wouldn't find 2wd anymore . ( well at least with highway gears the drive home in 4 low wasn't too bad , you can go 35-40 in 4 low with 3.08's and 33's )

What you just described is the range fork worn out . It started as the little pads were worn on the range fork , and then after time the actual fork gets worn to a knifeedge . Soon it will only grab 4 low .

Sorry , but you will need another case . or some pieces and a rebuild kit .

Won't really know until you remove it , but I betcha .:(

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I second what Pauly383 said. Same thing happened to my 208. Mine was so bad that it destroyed the input shaft.