Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 208 won't stay in 2hi

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jrgunn5150, May 2, 2006.

1. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I'm having another issue that I need to deal with now since everything else is getting squared away. After driving for a bit, totally randomly my NP 208 will pop out of 2 high. The shifter doesn't move, it just revs up and don't go any more. It always does it after a stop, or at least an application of the brakes. I have to drive in 4 lo for a bit, stop, shut it off, shift back into 2 high, and continue on my way.

Anybody have any ideas? Also it is leaking at the lowest point of the case, so I have to put fluid in it everytime I go to drive it, is there anyway to seal it that doesn't involve me bench pressing it? Or am I just stuck pulling it anyway? If so I think I'm just gonna stick a 241 in there over the summer when it's sitting.

2. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Im not familiar with 208s but you could adjusting it the linkage.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like mine was , just not as bad yet . When it only finds 4lo , hopefully you will be close to home .

I lucked out , I had 3.08 gears and 33's . I just drove home at 35 mph .

These cases have wearable pads on the range fork . When they go the fork wears . Mine was knife edged .

Another case and I was good to go .

To be sure its not the linkage , just pull the cotter pins and drive around your neighborhood without the rod on .

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Pauly is all over this one....

Buy another used one and swap it out.... It won't get any better...!

Marv

5. Jrgunn5150

I'll check the linkage this weekend just to make sure. I don't beleive that's it since it only does it when I get on the brakes, plus I just put a new trans in there, and it was doing it before and after.

On that note, if I need a new case, i'm gonna start looking for a 241 locally. Thanks guys.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

As far as the leaks go, I left mine in and unbolted the tailshaft first, then unbolted the back half of the case. I cleaned everything up then ran a bead of RTV around the case, bolted it back together and it hasn't leaked a drop since. :thumb:

Rick

7. Jrgunn5150

Excellent! I will give that a try as well. Maybe if I try that I will be able to see the damage to the shift fork and how bad it is?

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I can't remember if I was able to see the shift fork or not when I had it apart. sorry. :dunno:

9. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

This happen on my old 1985 K5 Blazer. If it's not your shift linkage. Your T-case only has a matter of time before it gives up. Mine made it almost a year before it got so worn it sounded like someone was beating it with a hammer. when I was going down the road. Does your truck have and vibs?
    Thanks
    Adam

10. Jrgunn5150

I've already replaced the t-case, but thanks.