Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 208 xfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Jul 10, 2000.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I have a np 208 in my 82 Blazer. It's leaking like a siv..
    are they easy to dismantle and reseal? How complex is it to take one of these down?
    I have the chilton's manual, but it show's internal parts pictures. Anyone have experience? Or should I just find a newer xfer case.. if i'm not mistaken.. aren't the 208's cast iron which should make them bulletproof?
    Thanks ..

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well you r mistken. read this:

NP 208
    Type: Chain-driven, aluminum
    Low-range ratio: 2.61:1
    Weight (lb): 79
    Lubricant: ATF
    Length (in): 8.0 (GM); 15.5 (AMC)
    Width (in.): 20.0
    Height (in.): 5.0
    Used by: Many full-size vehicles, including Jeep pickups and Wagoneers (which used a left-side front output shaft). A part-time unit that replaced the stronger, heavier NP 203, the NP 208 can't stand up to the horsepower that the NP 205 can, but failure is more often related to low oil level than too much input torque. The 'case utilized left- or right-side front output shafts. All Jeep model 208s have the same spline and output-shaft size and bolt pattern as the Dana 300.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I tore into my 208 one weekend cos I didnt have the cash the tranny man wanted. It cost me 100 bucks for the reseal kit(gaskets, seals, I think it even came with new thrust washers)The chain was 40 bucks extra. The biggest mistake I made was pulling the mainshaft out. It has about a million needle bearing inside the collar. If you can keep that together, you have it made. I threw my shaft into the freezer and put some vasoline and the needle bearings back on and threw it back in the freezer before I re installed it. It gave me some extra time to put it back together and the vasoline just dissolved. Be sure you replace the nylon bushings on the range selector fork too. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

What is a siv ?
    Heh heh, sorryI couldnt resist.

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

make sure the case itself has not corroded thru. This causes leaks because the case material is thin and corrodes all the way thru. I have a spare 208 in good condition if anyone needs one. Reasonable.

SteveB