Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az84chevy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. az84chevy

az84chevy Registered Member

Alright i just got my new/used np 208 installed. It is leaking from the where the adapter for my 700-r4 hits the t-case. I did not replace that seal before i put it in so that may be the problem. But was i supposed to put rtv on the adapter where it connects with the t-case? Thinking maybe its leaking cause i didnt do that.

If it is the seal how do i go about getting it off the t-case. I know the the rear and front drive shaft all i had to do was hit the lip around the edege of the seals and they came out easily. What do i need to do to get the seal out where the t-case connects to the transmission.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine just got rtv'd , didn't even bother to look for , or buy new gaskets .

3. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

some times you can hit the top of the seal back and stick the screwdriver in and pry it out

4. clancy84

clancy84 Registered Member

leak.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I unbolted the t-case and slid it back about 1". I did it with everything in place including driveshafts and linkage. The case will sit of the tranny output splines. I Cleaned up the two mating surfaces real well and shot a bunch of rtv on bolt sides paying special attention to the areas where the bolts came through....put it back together. its stayed dry as a bone since then.

Also check out your driveshaft seal, and check out the inside end of the slip yoke to make sure its not leaking there.

--Scott

5. az84chevy

Thanks for the tips guys, i'll see how it goes.

6. az84chevy

Alright, i checked the fluid in the np 208 and it was full and it wasn't overflowing so the transmission fluid hadn't leaked into it. The transmission fluid was a bit low though. It is leaking from where the adapter connects to the t-case. Is there supposed to be tranmission fluid in the adapter?

Reason i ask is, if there is supposed to be then all i need to do is rtv the adapter. If not, it looks like i have to do the rear transmission seal.

Thanks for the info,

Kevin

7. az84chevy

Anybody?