Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np 208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My 208 leaks around the surfaces where you bolt it together at in the middle which encloses the chain, if you guys get what I mean. I guess thats where it splits into halfs, and then also around the cone which covers the tail slip yoke.

Are their gaskets for this or is it just hte tryed and trued silicone process?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have always used rtv

3. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just did mine in truck was leaking in the same spots used rtv and no leaks. :D

4. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

did you guys take it all the way apart and apply the rtv as a gasket? just wondering how you did it

5. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

Fortunately for myself, I didn't have to split the main case. But the tail cone was leaking where it met the case. I just took the bolts out after draining the case, backed off the cone and cleaned the surfaces of any fluid. Black RTV did the trick.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you really want it to never leak again take it apart & thoroughly clean it. then use some 3Bond m/c engine case sealant or Subaru engine block sealant (roughly the same stuff) to glue the case halves back together.
    The guy who who has to split it the next time won't be too happy with you, but it won't leak.

7. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I only pulled tail section and back half of case just to reseal. The back of the truck was on jack stands so had plenty of room to work. Shifter rod spring and washer is on back half and needs to be right when case back half gets put back. It's not hard to do just make sure where rtv go's all is clean or it will leak again.

8. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys