Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 208

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mud Bath, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Mud Bath

Mud Bath Registered Member

i have an np 208 t case in my 88 k5. I have changed the rear output shaft seal several times and i cant get the dam* thing to quit leaking. Any suggestions would be very helpful. is there any type of slip yoke eliminator for a 208. If so what do they cost and where can i get one

2. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

my 208 had statred leaking out of the rear seal. but i found out that i had gottin some water in it and it was just over full. just and idea of something to check out first

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

How do you over fill it? I thought that the filled amount was right up to the top of the filler hole or an inch below. I did my seal a couple of weeks ago too and boy did that suck. Its not putting in the seal but getting all that ATF fluid into it thats a pain in the butt.

(Please direct all hate mail to "Blazer_Boy" because I don't think "BlazerBoy" would appreciate it [​IMG])

4. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

if you get into deep enough water it will suck it in if it isn't vented right and that will put to much fluid in it. the way we fill it up is we use and old gallon contaner of gear lube that has the pump with it. clean it out real good and put you transmission fluid in it. then just pump it in

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull the slip yoke out and make sure its not grooved from the seal. Same idea as a harmonic balancer..maybe they even make sleeves for the yokes?

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

check the driveshaft slip area for grooves or pits. there is a bushing in the tail housing that may also be worn and causing the drive shaft to move a little and allow the seal to leak.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I don't know of any slip yoke eliminater kits, but:

'81 Chevys came w/fixed yoke 208's (supposedly)

Some 80's Dodges had fixed yoke 208's. They won't bolt up, but I think you could combine a front Chevy case half w/ a rear Dodge case half. I bought one from a junk yard that was going foreign for $25. It looks like it'll work, but I haven't tried it yet.

I use a nipple from a bottle of gear lube to fill the t-case.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd