Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 241 Leakage from the vent?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Dec 16, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Before you flame me, I know the 208's and 241's leak. But this one is different. I installed a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit from High Angle into a 241 from an 89, and put it in my 83. I changed the front and rear shaft seals, and rtv'ed the case at the tailhousing, case seal and to the transmission adapter. Right now, I am having to drive around in front wheel drive only until my new CV shaft arrives. Anyways, to make a long story short, I put my truck on a ramp and when I crawled under it to measure for the shaft, I noticed that my transfer case was leaking. Not just leaking, I know this truck pretty well by now, it was LEAKING. There was ATF everywhere. You might expect to see a drop every now and then, with the thin "rust protection" layer across the bottom of the cab of the truck. I had like 10 drops there where I had stopped on the ramp! So, I drove it back home and cleaned it up, and drove it around the block to try to find out where the leak was coming from. It looks like it is pouring out of the friggin vent at the top! I know the 241 has a better lube pump, but that seems kinda crazy to me. Did I overfill it? I used a hand pump to get the AFT into the case, and I filled it till it started to spill back out, and the truck was at a slight nose down angle on a driveway. I need to drive the truck to work, and am worried about burning something up.

What do you think? Any advice?

<words words words words, damn I'm long winded>