Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 241 problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TRUPPE, Dec 26, 2004.

1. TRUPPE

TRUPPE Newbie

I have a 90 Blazer with a NP 241 problem. When coming to a stop there is a clunking sound coming from the case. It only occurs when in two high, not in other ranges. I am prepared to rebuild it; however, I am not sure what parts I should anticipate on replacing. I cannot afford to have much down time and would like to repair it quickly. I would like to know if others have had similar problems and if so what is the solution. Any input will be helpful.
    Thanks,
    TRUPPE

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Are you sure its not something else? Take a look at the slip yoke, that could be causing the noise too as it sliders across the splines, especially if the yoke is worn.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just did all that to my 89 w/241...

Bearing/seal kit...$111
    Chain................$80
    Range fork.........$58 (yours is probably stamped 338)

www.nationaldrivetrain.com ...ship from Atl and Chi...if you have a Tax number as a business, Motive Gear sells wholesale only...I got a good exploded view of the TC with a parts list from their site

It's all snap rings, so have a good pair of snap ring pliers...I used a wooden dowel to gently tap the bearings in/out

Takes about 30 min to drop it (80#), 3hrs or so to dismantle/remantle, 30-45min to reinstall....I have a heated shop and air tools, but I did it on my back with a creeper...it's a heavy sumbitch to have on yer chest for very long, but I'm an old guy

Tricky replacing the pump...I placed the o-ring on the tube, put the tube in the pump, and reinstalled the pump/filter/back half as a unit...couldn't figure out how to do it any other way and get the dang tube in the pump...lots easier than it sounds...email me if you'd like a cell number....K5Jimmy@yahoo...

I am Not a mechanic...I just work on stuff...TC is really pretty easy, but a couple of the snap rings are a PITA...have fun, and good luck