Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np 241 troubles...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Jun 2, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So my 90 blazer is having some problems. its efinetly from the tcase... When driving it seems to pop out of gear...make a grinding sound and then it almost makes a sound like the t case is in neutral...(like when you try and put it in park and the parking pawl engages, even if the trannys in drive...) it does this in 2 hi, 4 hi, but not 4 low (thats how i had to get it home) any ideas? it almost seems as if the linkage is messed up but im just not sure:confused:

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just went thru the same thing on my 89...first, take of the tailhousing and check the snap ring...bet it's broke and letting the shaft slide back and forth...next, if you draing the fluid and stick your finger in the drain hole and fish around a bit you will find small plastic pieces...those would be the teflon pads of your shift fork and range fork...if you go deeper and check your chain, it will appear tight and unmarked...I pulled the case and tore it down...ended up replacing the bearings and seals ($120 kit), and found the range fork was worn oddly ($50)...put if all back together and it did the same thing because the chain appeared to be good...so I replaced the chain ($90), and life was good....simple teardown and fix...get good snap ring pliers and some patience...I used a wood dowel to tap in the bearings (aluminum case)...low fluid prolly caused the problem....www.nationaldrivetrain.com...and...www.motivegear.com...