Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stylin6, Jun 17, 2002.

1. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Just picked up a NP 241 for a good price, but I've never heard much about them. Wanted to go with a 205 behind my TH400, but will use this one if its a decent transfer case. The truck will be used mainly for towing and some light wheeling, but I want a good transfer just in case. Any opinions on the NP241?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Its a good T-case but not as strong as the 205. It does have a lower gear ratio than the 205 which would make it "supposedly" better for wheelin, but since its aluminum and not iron, its not as "bulletproof". As far as towing.....the T-case doesn't come into play, less your towing in 4 wheel drive. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey man,

Go to: http://www.jeepbox.com/np231.htm#np241 Check out the slip yoke eliminator for the NP241. That's about the cheapest I've seen it offered. It'll add 6.5" to the length of the rear driveshaft, and give you the added benefit of being able to drive home with just the front driveshaft if one of the rear u-joints happen to let go on you. Also, you'll have to get a new rear shaft so that will give you an even better reason to get a CV joint on the output end of the driveshaft. That's what I'm getting for mine, and I'm thinking it'll be well worth the money.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got that kit. Very easy to install. The 241 is "really" easy to break down and re-assemble. The kit is great.

5. stylin6

stylin6 Registered Member

Looks great. Can you put this kit on the transfer case with it in the truck, or did you have to pull the transfer first?