Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 4 High, 4 High lock, 4 Low, 4 Lock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tom E, May 28, 2005.

1. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

I've never seen this before. Can anyone tell me some more info on how this work and what the differences are? I went riding today and got stuck in 4 low & 4 low lock, but was able to get out in 4 High. :crazy: Perhaps a website with more info? In 4 low and 4 low lock the front didn't appear to be spinning. I was only able to get ALL 4 wheels spinning in 4 High. The guy I bought it from put manual hubs on the front. Could that be the problem?

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

? You have more than four wheels?

3. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Jeez! I was saying " I was only able to get ALL 4 wheels spinning in 4 High." 4 Low and 4 Low Lock wasn't spinning the front.

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Just checking. :D

I was confused when you were talking about 2low and 2low loc but I see that you have changed it now.

Though if you did have a 6 wheeled macheine that would be kinda nifty.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

wheel speed is what cleans tires out. in mud keep it in high. for crawling low.

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

the np203 is a full time transfer case, there are kits to make it part time, you say the po put locking hubs on, did he also install the part time kit? this will change your shift pattern, cant remember what the pattern is but a search should find it for ya, hope this helps some

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Um.. are you sure it reads 4 lo & 4 lo lock?

How about:

Lo Lock - 4wd low range

lo - think of it as 2wd low

N - needs no explanation

Hi - 2wd high range (street use)

Hi loc - 4wd high range

Just think of the LOCK as being what you would select for whatever terrain you would use 4wd in.

As also mentioned, just putting the locking hubs on a FT4WD will not make it a part time conversion, it also needs the kit for the 203 as well. If you saw no tire spin at all from the front, it is very poss. that the PO didn't know, or bother to mess with the 203 portion of the swap. I'd double check to see if the front is pulling at all, and then go from there.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you have a part time kit in it giving you 2 hi 4hi 2low and 4 low. (but not necessarily in that order)Check the tech article page for info on this conversion.

9. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

i have this same t-case and have encountered similar issues. i also have the 203 part time kit. it sounds like you also have the part time kit like mentioned. making it,

4 low

2low

N

2high

4high

what i have found is that 99% of the trouble ive had with this case has to do woth the linkages getting misaligned. so you are not actually engaging 4 low no matter how far you push the stick. what has fixed many problems with my case is to back-off all the nuts on the linkages, and on the bottom of the case there is a whole that goes through the case and two plates, you line up everything so that you can put a drill bit throught it, as big as will fit in the whole, you dont want there to be any slop. this rests it to nuetral. then tighten everything back up and lock tight it, and of course remove the drill bit :grin: . i will bet that after doing this youre 4low will work.

10. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that in the morning, and let you know if it works. I think you're probably gonna be right...because I never was sure it was going all the way to 4 low lock. And that would make since then if I was actually in 2 low

11. jester

jester Registered Member

I have the exact same transfer case in my truck. The order of the gears goes (from top to bottom)

4 LOW LOC,
    4 LOW,
    N,
    4 HIGH,
    4 HIGH LOCK

First off, unlockable hubs on a full-time 4 wheel drive t-case is a bad idea, just keep them locked until you get a part time kit. 4 HIGH and 4 LO are normal 4 wheel drive in which in which you are in 4 wheel drive and then if the front or back slips it sends more power to the end slipping. If you have it in 4 LOC, LOW or HIGH, then a center diffierential (so to speak) in the t-case locks and the power is distributed evenly between the front and the back, so even if you whole back end is off the ground the front will still turn. That is why unlockable hubs are bad for it, because if you unlock the hubs the transfer case thinks the front is slipping and puts all of the power to the front so you have to leave the t-case in LOCK to be able to move which is bad on the t-case to be left in for too long. Hope this sheds some light on the whole thing. GOOD LUCK!

12. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Say what!

Did he say " Perhaps a website with more info". :confused:

I don't think that place exists :grin:

As for the "loc" , I believe a np 203 has a center diff in the case that can be locked up or left in its "open" mode that sends torque to which ever diff needs it most. Kind of like the roots of AWD . If this is incorrect then please school me :)

Jeff

I think that jester might have cleared that up!

13. jester

jester Registered Member

14. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

Hey i have a 350/203 and the guy that had it befor me put on locking hubs. I don't think a part time kit though. In high and low i with out the hubs locked it drives just fine, does this mean he put a part time kit on? in low, i can power brake the truck and spin the tires. Low lock and high lock work and are the only way to get the front axles to spin unless i lock the hubs of course. Any ideas? personally i think the transfer case is crap.

15. jester

jester Registered Member

Sounds to me like you have a part-time kit in it, otherwise if your not in lock the transfer case will only spin the front driveshaft thinking that it is slipping. I have a 205 sitting in my garage for whenever I feel like swapping out the 203, but once I figured out how the 203 works I kinda like it. It's tough as hell, but chain driven which kinda sucks. I don't know I will probably swap it out for the 205 then if I don't like it I will swap back. It all depends on how much ambition and time I have before I take off to Fort Sill.

16. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Same here. Once adjusted works fine but I've had to adjust a few times in the last 3 years.

17. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

"79 Blaze" You were right about the new order. With the kit my new order is:
    4 low
    2low
    N
    2high
    4high
    Everything works good. I saw that it takes 10W30. Is this correct?

18. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

im not sure about that one, that is a good question though, my buddys family owns a a local 4-whell shop and i always have them do the servicing as i have better things to do than change t-case oil, those guys never give me discounts though :mad: i just like supporting them i guess,lol

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yes, it is correct.