Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 Brace Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Jun 11, 2000.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I got a problem guys. I was under my K5, and noticed what looked like a broken brace on the passenger side of the transfer case. Now it was this way when I bought it, so I have no idea where it went or why it's missing. There are 2 bolts with a small piece of bracket left on the case, and it looks like the bracket went forward from there, but there isn't any of it left. Anyone know anything about this? Pics would be helpful. Thanks.

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

The part is called a transfer case torque mount and it is VERY common for it to fail early. I have ran a 563ftlb deisel without this bracket for 85000 mi. with no problems.
    If you want to reatatch it Energy Suspension makes a urethan grommet kit, or you can by some though GM dealers. Good Luck

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

203's are heavy PIGS! The reason those bars as well as two bars off the bellhousing to the motor mounts were added was to keep from breaking the bellhousing. Find one in the Junk yard. It goes from the side of the case to the upper transmission to engine bolt. My lists of things to do this week includes install one of these on my 75 that didn't come with it. I got the bar but need the bolts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm running a Turbo 400 and NP-205 that I got out of a 1980 GMC 1-ton truck. It came with that beefy bracket as well. I had a heck of a time getting it lined up to get the bolt through it at the engine end. It has two big bolts that go through the bar and into the t-case on the passenger side.

I figured GM wouldn't have put it there unless they thought it was needed, so I use it. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

6. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if this type of brace was used with the th350-NP205 combo used in the 80 Blazer? I have this setup in my 78, but I am missing the brace. I have one for a th350-NP203 combo, but it is too long.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have this brace/torque mount in my SM465/NP205 setup with the energy poly mounts........

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com