Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 case/hub conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jkubsch2004, Apr 30, 2004.

1. jkubsch2004

jkubsch2004 Registered Member

i have a 78, silverado, with a NP203.i wont to make it p/t 4x4. i read alot of the posts about how to do that .i found them very help. but i dont know what to do about the hubs .i know thay need to be changed. but i cant seam to find a kit to do that . all the kits i've looked up just have lockers . i'm having trouble finding a full hub assembly. my old ones are shot . and if that's not enuff what brand should i go with . any help yall could give me would be grate. thanks

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Assuming you have a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck, you'll have a Dana 44 front end.

Locking manual hubs can be had from Warn (I recommend their Premium, #20990, about US$100 from Summit Racing @ summitracing.com... not cheapest but I'm sure they'll ship to you)...

There's also Milemarker:

http://www.milemarker.com/hub-application.html#chevy-gmc

they have lots of different models, or Superwinch:

http://www.superwinch.com/products/hubs/index.html

I think you have "locker" (locking differential) confused with "locking hub". You *do* need a (manually) locking hub with the part-time kits.

Hope this helps; feel free to email me offline if you want more specifics /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use warn premiums in my '78. They're well made and work good too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dremu

Just as a followup, John mailed me offline... I think he's actually referring to the brake hub, i.e. inside the rotor, and is confused (rightly so!) with the drive hub on the end. English is confusing enough -- and then add silly parts names into it, plus the fact that the nearest NAPA store is some thousands of miles away... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, I found some pictures of the various parts and hopefully that'll help us identify what he needs.

-- A

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The, "brake hub" you're referring to is actually called a, "Bearing hub."

6. dremu

*That*, thank you. I know to look for it under brake parts and it's the hub that the brake rotor mounts to, but I knew it's not part of the brake system proper.

-- A

7. jkubsch2004

thanks for all the help on this. wish me luck in geting the parts . thanks agin

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The 203 part-time kit from Mile Marker comes with the lock-out hubs. Grim did a great article in the product reviews about this kit. I've got the kit and can say it's pretty well made.

How's your tour going? Spent a year in Iceland at a site called Hofn. One of the better remote tours... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. jkubsch2004

not to bad , it's nice up hear , i'm just having hell finding the parts i need . i'm in kef

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might try Summit. #MMK-501 or #MMK-502