Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 DRILLED HOLES FOR MORE OIL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zlivewire, Jan 18, 2003.

1. zlivewire

zlivewire Newbie

78 BLAZER JUST PUT SHAFT KIT IN ON THE REAR THERE IS A LIP I DRILLED 2 QUARTER INCH HOLES WILL THAT ALLOW ENOUGH OIL INTO REAR TAIL OR DO I STILL HAVE TO PUT IN 4 WHEEL EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE ./ALSO IT SMELLS LIKE SOMEONE USED GEAR OIL IN T/CASE I TOPPED ADDED 2 QUARTS OF 10W40 SHOULD I DRAIN AND FILL WITH ALL 10W40 EVERYTHING IS GOOD NICE KIT ANY INPUT WOULD HELP THANKS

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

if they used gear lube, good cases are the t-case is in bad shape, so they put heavier oil in it as a Band-aid fix.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I wouldn't use a mix if I were you drain it and put one kind.
    Now for why they used gear oil? I use gear oild in my 203. I would never use anything else, unless I move to snow country where the cold would make it too thick and drag would be a problem.
    I rebuilt mine and used gear oil in it because it will lube it better and much more silent.
    Gear lube is a better gear lubricant than engine oil.
    I used synthetic 75w90 and it was fine for the 5 years I had it.

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

what case is it?
    a 205 takes gear oil
    a 208 takes atf
    a 203 takes motor oil

Ryan

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wouldn't use a mix if I were you drain it and put one kind.
    Now for why they used gear oil? I use gear oild in my 203. I would never use anything else, unless I move to snow country where the cold would make it too thick and drag would be a problem.
    I rebuilt mine and used gear oil in it because it will lube it better and much more silent.
    Gear lube is a better gear lubricant than engine oil.
    I used synthetic 75w90 and it was fine for the 5 years I had it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    @03 uses motor oil for a reason. Gear oil is to thick to be moved by the pump in the tail shaft housing. The output shaft has a oil passage that runs through it. That oil goes to the top chain sprocket to lube the 122 or so roller bearings it rides on.
    Drilling the lip was a bad idea. Go to the hardware store and get some 3/4 pipe and and a couple 90's and get the oil level up a couple inches over stock.

6. zlivewire

zlivewire Newbie

should i pemetex the 2 quarter inch holes i drilled and ill run truck and drain oil and put 75w90 synt oil