Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np203 noises - chain?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sleeper_dave, Oct 13, 2002.

1. sleeper_dave

sleeper_dave Registered Member

Hi, this is my first post here. I just installed a new (used) transfer case in my '78 1/2 ton, and now i have a problem. hopefully some of you guys can help me out.

My problem: A noise. Kind of a clunking. Only under load, in forward or reverse, in high or low range, t-case locked or not locked, goes with the vehicle speed not the rpm's. It goes away when i unlock the front hubs (and run it in lock).

My vehicle: a 78 chevy, with a 6" lift, TH350 trans, NP203 transfer case.

I blew up the transfer case a couple months ago, replaced it with another np 203 last weekend. That's when the noise started. It's definitely coming from the front driveline, because it only happens when the front driveline is under load. I thought it might be the front driveshaft, because it looked like the angle was just about maxed and the metal "stops" on the stock (but replaced in the spring) CV joint looked like they were hitting. So i ground them off. It didn't fix it. So i'm thinking it's the chain. And i think it's going to be a PITA to fix.

So, what do you guys think? Does it sound like the chain? Do i need to replace it, or can i use that "chain saver" thing that mile marker makes? And how hard is it to change the chain, and how do i do it? My haynes manual seems to be worthless for this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

have a look HERE maybe it will help u to get it back together..or to tear it apart!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. sleeper_dave

sleeper_dave Registered Member

thanks, i bookmarked that page and i'll be back to copy just about everything on it.

dave