Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 Part Time Kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bgchvy79, Jan 27, 2004.

1. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Has anybody installed or seen the NP203 Part Time Conversion kit from mile marker? I was wondering how hard it is to install and what is involved with it...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've installed both types of kits that Milemarker makes, the replacement shaft and the locking lugs.

Both are fairly simple for someone who can follow simple instructions. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two. That's even taking into account the time needed to take care of a few minor additional things while you have it apart, like replacing the rear output seal.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Does the kit hold up ok?

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the kit hold up ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

It depends on which kit you install and how you use your truck.

Both of the kits do the same thing, they eliminate the differential in the transfer case. The shaft replacement replaces the differential completely while the kit with the lugs just locks it up. The bests analogy I can think of would be to consider the difference between welding the spiders in your 14 bolt rear end which locks the spiders up, eliminating the differential action, or installing a spool which replaces the differential completely.

The kit with the lugs is very cheap, around $100 including locking hubs. Installation is simple:
    <ul type="square"> [*]Remove rear output housing [*]Pull out differential and put it on the bench [*]Place lugs in spider gears of differential [*]Put it back together [*]Install lockout hubs on front axle [/list]

This kit will hold up great for trucks with smaller tires (under 35") that don't get wheeled by a maniac. If you are running 1/2 ton axles then it should hold up to whatever you can safely run on them. Now, before anyone chimes in with something like "I use the lugs on my Blazer with 44" Boggers" I'm not saying you can't run larger tires. Heck, I've seen guys run 44" meats on 1/2 ton gear and never have a problem .......... but I wouldn't do it.

The BEST way to go is to get the replacement shaft. It is a little more expensive (around $275 WITHOUT hubs) but it will be the last thing to break if you have a problem. If you are running 3/4 or 1-ton gear then this is the way to go.

Installation is easy:

<ul type="square"> [*]Remove rear output housing [*]Pull out differential and toss it in the trash [*]Put shaft in where the differential was [*]Put it back together [*]Install lockout hubs on front axle [/list]

That's my recommendation and I'm sticking to it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've installed maybe a dozen each of these kits and the only one I ever saw break was on my Bronco w/35" tires. It lasted a little over 2 years plowing snow and lightweight muddin. It busted late one night when I was plowing out a parking lot with about 2' snow covering it. I was in a hurry, hitting the snow hard and pushing that Furd as hard I could and it just didn't like it. It exploded the differential assembly and blew the rear housing on the 203 to pieces. I cleaned it all out, put the shaft kit in it and ran it hard for another 5 years before I sold it.

Whichever way you go, make sure you read <font color="green"> Grim Reapers article</font> on the kits. It's the best step-by-step guide I've ever seen.

Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW: I like the Morph of your truck on your web page. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif