Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np203 problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jamber2541, Jan 6, 2007.

1. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

My friends Blazer has a 203 with a part time shaft kit installed and had been working fine, now when we go wheeling and the transfer is shifted to 4hi or
    4low it works great and then with no grinding or no noise at all it slips out of 4 wd. We opened it up and everything looks good. We even adjusted the shifter. Could the nut on the rear output have been tooo loose?? He had already taken the back cover off when I got there. Any ideas???

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

it's a characteristic of the case as it ages. as is eventually not being able to get it into certain selections. your best bet is to ditch it IMO

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Every time I've seen the problem its been with the shifter. A home brew (or ORD) shifter can fix it. I have seen where a worn high/low selector can cause it to pop back into low, but only shifter probelms for 4wd/2wd.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The 203 has a spring loaded detent assembly and if I remember correctly once that spring is worn out or busted it will want to jump out of 4wd. There's also a shift fork that engages the range selector sliding clutch that can get worn out as well.

The only way to reach those components is to disassemble the case. Rebuilding a 203 is very simple.

Here is a great place to buy do it yourself rebuild videos for trans and T-case. This is how I managed to rebuild my own case and transmission the 1st time through.

http://www.technicalvideos.com/