Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chalet2506, Jan 15, 2007.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've searched around and haven't come up with a good answer. I've got a part time kit in my 203(po installed it, not sure who made it) and warn premium manual hubs.

I understand what the new shift sequence is, and I understand how the 203 worked before the part time kit. L/H Loc for off road, L/H for highway. Difference's being that front and rear d shafts are locked at the same speed when operating in loc.

BUT, I can't find any info on whether or not the drive shafts are still "loc'd" or if the t-case is operates as an "open or limited slip" mechanism in 4WD with a part time kit installed. Reason I'm asking is I've got 32's on the rear right now and 31's on the front. It's icy down here and would probably be bad medicine to run it in 4x4 with different size tires if the t-case does still lock.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Did you read this write up and the Mile Marker installation and function?

http://coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml

If you have the mile marker kit installed then your 203 output no longer has a differential function. When your in 2-hi or 2 low position then only your rear driveshaft is turning.

If the hubs are unlocked and you engage 4hi or 4 low then your front and rear shafts are turning but the front hubs are not locked in so the front wheels are still undriven.

With the mile marker kit you have to engage both your case and your hubs to drive the front tires.

Whatever you do don't engage 4 wheel drive with mismatched size tires.

3. chalet2506

I read it, but I guess I'm mentally gear challenged. With 2 different tire sizes, hubs locked, in 4 high, is there enough slip to allow for the difference in tire diameter between the front and the rear?

The way I understand, before it was converted you could with the t-case operating in just low or high, not loc'd operation. Probably not a good idea, but it would work.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't try it but someone may have a different perspective on it.

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

In 4 high there is NO slip between ends. in 4 low there is NO slip between endsin 2 high and 2 low, there is NO drive to the front end.

the difference between 31's and 32's is great enough that you should not use 4wd in anything but mud or deep snow.

6. chalet2506

that's what I was looking for. thanks for the info.

Kurtis