Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np203 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spray004, Mar 13, 2003.

1. spray004

spray004 Registered Member

My front output shaft seal is leaking. I went to Autozone and got a new seal, but from the way the seal looks, it looks like I have to remove the front housing to get the seal out. Is this right or did Autozone sell me another wrong part? Also how can I tell what year NP203 I have. I went to the GM dealer to get a gasket for the front output shaft and there are two different designs for the gasket. The one I pulled off is totally different from the one I got. The one I pulled off sat at the bottom of the threads and had "fingers" running done the groves of the shaft. Help please.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I doubt that you will have to pull the bearing retainer off, although it would probably make things a little simpler.

Most t-cases have a tag either on the front or the back that have the serial number and a manufacture date.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are two seals on the front of the output. An outer seal and an inner seal. The inner seal (the one with the "fingers") seals the gap between the splines and the yoke (most general auto places don't carry them...at least around here), and many times I just use RTV there. The other seal (looks like a big "O") is the seal that seals the outside of the flange/yoke to the case (generally the one that leaks). You have to remove the nut holding on the flange/yoke, then remove the washer (if so equipped), then the fingered seal (if so equipped), then pull the flange/yoke, pry out the old seal, drive in the new seal (in the appropriate manner), re-install the flange/yoke, re-install the fingered seal (or use RTV), re-install the washer, then the nut and torque down.

Sometimes the seal will wear a groove into the flange/yoke and even with new seal it will leak. Two options, get a new flange/yoke or buy a spedi-sleeve at NAPA. Sometimes smoothing out the groove will work, but it is only a temporary fix.

4. spray004

I have it all tore done and finally got the seal out. I had to remove the small housing on the front. The seal that I got from Autozone looks nothing like the seal that came out. The seal I bought has a lip on it. I found a number on the case that said 18-73. Couldnt find the id tag though, looks like its gone. There were two different designs for the rubber gasket that sits behind the yoke nut. A 73-74 design and 75-? design. I'm guessing since the 75-? gasket didnt work its the early model. Anyone wanna buy a 77 Jimmy? $1600 obo

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depends, where are you from (no info in your profile /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

6. spray004

<font color="red"> Read the rules please
    The managment </font>