Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Oct 13, 2003.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I have a 85 K5 with locking hubs. I am thinking about changing the 700/208 for a TH400/NP203. The NP203 does not have a part time kit at all. I dont want to change hubs and till I get my part time kit, can I run the 400/203 combo and just leave my hubs locked in?

Thanks for you help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am pretty sure you would just need to run it in Hi-loc regardless of weather the hubs are locked or not.

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

no one else can help?

4. mainiac

mainiac Registered Member

In high range the 203 transfer case (not converted to part time) will act like an open differential and send power to the axle with the least resistance, the front, if the hubs are unlocked. If you run the transfer case in high lock it will send power to both ends regardless, but you front tires will not be pulling if the hubs are unlocked even though the front driveline will still be turning.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Danny,
    Just leave your hubs locked and it will be a full time AWD setup (diffs in the axles and t-case), power goes down the path of least resitance so lift one wheel and thats the only one that will spin. Your LOC positions will split 50/50 front and rear so if a hub is broken, you will have to run in LOC to go anywhere. Once you get the part-time kit in you will loose AWD and get RWD high and low positions as well as the 50/50 4wd LOC positions.

Also, while the th400 tranny is stronger, it has a taller 1st gear so it is a tad slower off the line than a th350.

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

mike i got one in my 79. how hard is it to take out and swap into the new one i got?