Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np203 questions help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jul 3, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. Farely new to the COk5 website(its awesome and big help). Farely inexperienced to the mechanics of transmissions and transfer cases as well. I have a couple of questions for anyone who has experience in this area. I just pulled trans case(np203) will not go into HLOC. Looks like the problem was the linkage. Actually missing 1 of 2 rods which changes the gears. Def needs new seals due to leaking fluid. Looks pretty simple to do(I think). But should I take to shop since I already have out of truck to have service done. Might it possibly need to be overhauled and is this expensive to have done? 2nd question is the tranny(350) leakes out of the back seal. Was wondering since I have access to tranny. Is there any type of upgrading(inexpensive).I can do to the tranny for better performance. Have 73k5 full time 4 wheel drive. Everyone hase been a huge help with previous questions I've had. As I said earlier farely new to the game And the drive train is my 1st step in the rebuilding of the 73k5 convt. So I'll probably be bugging the crap out of all the veterans here. Slightest bit of info appreciated.
    James

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

The 203 is mostly considered a boat anchor, but that does not mean that it is useless. Often the rebuild is more than the case is worth. Try contacting Boyce Equipment @ 800 748 4269 They have 203`s for $150+ shipping. these are used with warranty. You may need to change your input in the worse case, but that`s is no biggy. Or try to find a 205 or 208 to swap in. Just make sure to get all stock adapters. Also make sure that they came from the same trans as yours. Good Luck

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

The 203 is stout. And also most versatile. Downside is running front axle all the time, costing 10% fuel penality, plus wear on components. I never saw one die. Milemarker makes a full time kit, but then you forfeit the versatility of the 3rd differential. If you swap for a 205, save the 203 for use as a doubler project. Though front is HyVol driven, does not suffer same as 208/241 (which jump teeth under extreme torque). Get required SAE30W gear oil from Caterpillar dealer. Just my opinions....FWIW

SteveB