Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I'm working on tranny/xfer case swap and I have some questions

I was trying to drain the fluid out of the setup currently in the truck. I know the 203 does not have a drain plug (only a fill plug). I started to pull off the cover on the back of the case, directly behind the front driveshaft. I loosened it and there was no fluid coming out so I took the cover all the way off. As I did, I hear tink, tink, tink .... as all the bearings fall into the cover (not into the case thank God).

So how am I SUPPOSED to drain the fluid? If that's the right way, how do I get the bearings back together to get the cover on. It's not a big deal since it's the bad one anyway, but it would be nice to know for the future.

Plus when I unbolt it from the tranny, what should I expect? Unbolt, slide it back a few inches and drop it? I don't want more bearings falling out /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Thanks!!

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am nor sure if this is the proper way to do it, but as you look from rear to front on the back of the 203 right hand side lower you will see a round plate. it holds the back side of the front output. you can pull the bottom 2 or 3 bolts out of it and they will drain. atleast mine did...
    grant

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The bolt you must remove is in the same "face" of the fill plug, not in the tailhouse It's a round cover with bolts all around it. Remove the lower one or two.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Like the others said, to drain it you should only have to pull the bottom two bolts from the Front output rear bearing retainer plate, and it should all drain out, what has me a little worried is that you said you pulled the plate off and heard tink, tink, tink, those needles should be held into the race by a cage, they shouldn't just fall out. If you take the rear output/tail cone off THEN free needle bearings will fall out, but you said that it was the plate for the front, Hmmm, has me a little concerned, no oil, and bearings falling out, that doesn't sound good to me, but i don't know the whole story. As for dropping it out, you will have to unbolt the T-case from the adapter the only stuff that should fall out when you do that, is a little ATF, nothing else. Just a quick tip, When refilling a 203, use 30W engine oil. Not gear oil, not atf, not a mutil weight, the factory manual calls for SAE 30 Motor oil. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

So it looks like I pulled the correct plate. I loosened the bottom bolts to drain it (like on the diff) but nothing
    came out. So I pulled the whole plate. Turns out there was only about a thimble-full of oil in there anyway
    (the tranny was way low too). It's not too big a deal though since it's the old setup (read: blown).

So can I get a new bearing pressed in there? I thought it was odd this bearing didn't have the webbing or cage.
    Again it's not a big deal, I was just hoping to salvage at least the case from the setup.

On pulling the setup out, I am confused now. There are three sections of the setup. The tranny, and what I
    thought was two pieces of the transfer case. I had planned on unbolting the two rear pieces from the tranny and
    pulling it out in two pieces. From what Raised said, I shouldn't pull it out that way. So do I still do it in two pieces,
    just the other two or do I pull it out in three pieces?

Thanks!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Maybe i wasn't totally clear, you can take the T-case down in one piece, and then the tranny, but unlike a few t-cases where you unbolt the adapter plate from the tranny and pull it down, (like a 205) you have to unbolt the t-case from the adapterplate and take it down then you can take the adapterplate off the end of the tranny and pull the tranny down.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Is the middle piece (about 12 inches long where the shift linkage goes in), the "adapter plate" or
    actually part of the case?

If that's not part of the case, does that come down with the case, the tranny, or by itself.

Thanks for all the help Raised, sorry for my confused state . /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

That part is the range case, that is part of the t-case, and will come down with the rest of it, its just really really heavy when its all in one piece, from front to back you have the tranny, the adapter plate (about 3/4" thick, and what the mounts are under) then the T-case (which is in three parts, the range case, the chaindrive case and the tailhousing/center diff case) Like i said, it'll come down as one part, its just really heavy, last time i took it out, i took it out in sections, b/c i didn't have a tranny jack, plus i needed to take it apart anyway for the doubler.

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks Raised. I should be set now. I'm gonna give the case a shot in one piece since I'm making a floor jack
    adapter and i'm gonna have some help anyway. If it goes poorly getting it out, I'll put the new one in, in pieces.

Thanks again!!!