Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 rebuild/replace/jury rig opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Feb 19, 2003.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

My NP203 pops out of 4hi and 4lo. It holds for a bit, but always comes out under hard load/unload cycles. It's easy to hold it in gear with slight pressure.

It's got a part-time kit in it from a previous owner.

The linkage is correctly adjusted.

I have no oil leaking that might indicate worn bearings.

No mechanical or other shifter interference as far as I can see. Easy shift get into and out of various ranges.

So my conclusion is that the shift fork(s?) are worn. I don't have a diagram of the xfer case. (It's not in the 77 factory manual!!)

My predicament: I don't have a garage. The nearest one I can borrow is two hours drive (Boulder to Colorado Springs).

Questions:
    1. How hard is the xfer case to pull? I don't have a tranny dolly.
    2. How hard is it to replace the shift forks? It would have to get done in a weekend which is obviously a problem if I discover anything else wrong that I'm not prepared for. (In fact, even that would be outside since I have a camper on this -- ~8ft tall)
    3. Should I just get a rebuilt one rather than do it myself consider my time/space limitations? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Or maybe god forbid take it to a shop and really get reamed? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Or should I just jury rig something until it gets worse? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Thanks for help and opinions!

cheers,
    Kevin

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am on my 5th 203 in 1 year. They are a pain in the @$$ to remove because they weight just over 200 lbs I think. Next time mine comes out it is getting a 205.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am on my 5th 203 in 1 year. They are a pain in the @$$ to remove because they weight just over 200 lbs I think. Next time mine comes out it is getting a 205.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I don't see how you can brake so many 203's, are you sure you are not running it locked on the street?

Anyway to the original question, you should be able to get a 203 from Pick n Pull if you have those in your area for $100, they are a b***H to handle but a used one should be fine.
    I put mine in with the help of a jack and 2 buddys helping to hold it straight.
    It's easier than messing with the rails and faster.
    I did mine off/on in 1 hour.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, 2 of them I have blown up, 1 had a bad chain when I put it in, and 1 got taken out cause it was the 1/2 ton A/T model and I needed a 3/4 ton 4spd model.

5. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just dump the full time 203 and get a 205 amd convert your hubs to locking hubs...
    --
    Stronger and WAAAAy better 2wd performance and milage..
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Won't the output shafts on the tranny be wrong for him to put a 205 in? I have the same problem, ratchet strap around the center console works wonders. I tried putting a washer in with the detent spring to see if that helps, but I'm having bad engine problems before I had a chance to test it. See the ORD board for info on putting the washer in.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My 203 already has the part time kit and the locking hubs. Yes, I would love a 205. Yes, I will have to redo driveshafts, but that is not a big deal. The bigger problem is finding a reasonable 4spd version 205.

8. fredekr

Thanks for the washer idea; might try that in the meantime. Could you point me to the ORD thread? I searched and couldn't find it.

9. fredekr

10. fredekr

Bummer, the washer trick / increased detent tension didn't seem to make much difference for me. Looks like I'm looking at the jury rig or replacement options...

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If ya want to, you could get a 205 and do a ORD Doubler