Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 rebuild with pictures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Apr 13, 2003.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I need a link to a good NP203 rebuild site. What I am looking for specifically is pictures of everything that is inside the range box portion of the case and how to disassemble the range box and then reassemble it. I already have disassemble the T-case down to this point but want more reassurance before going any further. I want to completely disassemble so I can clean and bead blast the case.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Just a suggestion, you may not want to take everything apart. If you just take apart the gears that will come out with regular tools (there are some that are pressed in place), and wash out the case with degreaser and soap and water, then reassemble it with new seals, you will be good to go. If you press out the gears and completely dissassemble it, you are looking at a world of work with so-so results if you are a first-time builder of an NP203.

If you want to do it anyway, knock yourself out. A better option would be to just clean it up, replace the bad parts (I doubt there will be any), then reassemble it and you will be good to go. This is a rugged, heavy t-case and even if you bead blast it and paint it "real perty", you will scrape it up re-installing it. Heck, you don't see much of it anyway after it is installed.

Good luck with your bad self.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure Scott will be able to manage.

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I completely rebuilt mine, good option to make sure it is all good. The best resource I found was a place called Border Parts in San Diego. They have manuals and know everything. I recommend getting a mile-marker kit, they save gas, give you more shifting options (2hi, 4hi, 2lo, & 4lo instead of being full time), and are bulletproof. Mine works awesome. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck with your bad self.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...For your info, Scott is "bad" as far as these kinda things are concerned. I have no doubts that he could do this 203 rebuild without any literature. He's got more knowledge in his head than 90% of is here. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Make that 98%......

Scott has forgotten more about automotive tech than most of us will ever know! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That is a fact.

Kinda like watching Marissa Tomei in "My Cousin Vinny" when she goes off about the 327 Chevy with the 4-Barrel carburetor in the '55 Chevy...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Or is it like Dustin Hoffman in "RainMan"????....where he memorized the phone book up to the letter "G"????

Either way.....he's freakishly genious!!!

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Either way.....he's freakishly genious!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Genius is as Genius does. That's what Mama always used to say.....

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Scott has forgotten more about automotive tech than most of us will ever know! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That is a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hear that. He has help me out in more ways than i can count stars on a clear nights sky /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4X4HIGH

Well peeps, I just tore into it tonight and figured it out on my own and it was a breeze. Once the 203 is tore down to only the range box portion, you remove the shift fork, then the input seal retainer, then remove a outside clip from the front bearing and remove the front bearing/input gear from the inside. Now it is time to remove the idler gear shaft from the front and let all 72 needle bearings and 3 shims and 1 spacer fall out the front. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Actually it really isn't bad to tear apart and rebuild the range box. I simply greased the inside of the idler gear and then neatly layed all 72 needle bearings and shims and spacer back in place and then reinstalled everything in the reverse order. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So when are you moving to Modesto so you can be my neighbor? I need a neighbor like you!!hehehhee
    I still have to tear into my range box, hey I painted it Chevy Orange just for Greg. WE all know he LOVES Chevy Orange /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    More coffee........

13. 4X4HIGH

Steve, if you need any help I don't have a problem driving there to help you out. Modesto isn't that far away, I used to go there all the time to visit some friends.