Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 rebuild $$

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin topless 75, Mar 13, 2004.

1. blazin topless 75

blazin topless 75 Registered Member

Well I discovered the other day that my Transfer Case has $&#! the bed...getting all of those good grinding noises in everything but 4 Hi. Can anyone tell me how much I should be paying for a rebuild of the unit? I want to put a part time kit in it too. Any info would be helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is it banging?

It's very unusual for it to need anything but a chain every 150-200k of full time use.
    Chain runs about $100 and the low end part time kit is $50. Both made by Mile marker and both available at summit racing.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml Link to Mile Marker is in that and you can get the part numbers to make finding them on Summits site easier.

That will Give you a idea what it will take to do it yourself.
    The chain can be done in the truck. Just make sure the top chain gear doesn't get pulled off.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

The chain can be done in the truck. Just make sure the top chain gear doesn't get pulled off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really? I just put new input and output bearings in mine but didn't do the chain as there didn't seem much slack in it + it looked a horrible job...and I had the case out of the truck. can you give a brief description of how to do it, I may understand as I've just been looking inside it. I was going to do the chain and had bought one but they sent me the wrong width chain and wanted me to send it back with me paying the postage. England to the USA costs more than the chain so I'm stuck with a useless chain and $62 out of pocket /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. blazin topless 75

blazin topless 75 Registered Member

No banging, it just acts like it's in neutral with a slight grinding noise, and I get serious grinding noise when I attempt to shift it into 4 hi with the motor running and the trans in park. I can put it into neutral and it makes a grinding noise until it comes to a stop, then slips into neutral.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    I get serious grinding noise when I attempt to shift it into 4 hi with the motor running and the trans in park.

[/ QUOTE ]

In PARK /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif??

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I get serious grinding noise when I attempt to shift it into 4 hi with the motor running and the trans in park.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What, I shift from Lo to Hi in Park all the time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sounds like your trans to me. Your t/case isn't doing anything when your trans is in park /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe shifting the t/case is pushing the output shaft of the trans against a colapsed trans bearing. Sound pretty weird though

8. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What, I shift from Lo to Hi in Park all the time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your output shaft on the tranny will not spin when in park, assuming the parking pawl/ case is in good order, and you will not get any grinding noises from shifting the t-case. In blazin topless' case (no pun intended..hehe) I was suprised at his statement of shift grinding while in park, if that's true, he's either not in true park (shift linkage adjust), or the inside of the tranny is busted /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.