Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 side TC mount?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I get the NP203 back in and mount it up to the tranny. It takes a while but I found that using my motorcycle lift with a square of plywood cut to fit the lift works like a charm. I get it all mounted up and I'm thinking, man this thing is absurdly heavy. I can't believe that it is supposed to stay put with only the mounting bolts into the tranny/TC mount keeping it up. So, I look on the passenger side and sure enough I see two tapped holes in the case. I look over to the frame and see holes that seem to line up in the same area. I run and take a peek in the shop manual and sure enough there is a mounting bracket that goes to the frame from the passenger side of the TC. Anybody have an extra one of these laying about that has done a doubler? I'm thinking my only option might be pick n' pull because the dealer just laughed when I called the Part Dept. Seems I have half the bracket there but who knows where the other half went. My other Blazer didn't have this bracket attached either. Here is a pic of the bracket from the manual:
    [​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I've never seen one with it, mines gone too, so is my brotherinlaws and a friend of mine, I wonder if they just didn't put them on some or if all the PO's in the world yanked em all, I found the 2 pieces of metal at a 4x4 shop and they wanted 65 bucks so I passed on that rape scene.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Fawkers.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifI'm switching to a 205 anyhow, if you find them I have the poly bushings still in the package I'll sell you cheap.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

If You can't find one, it's simple to make one out of two piece's of say 3x3 angle iron. Mark the hole's in both T-Case, and the frame rail, drill em out to size, bolt them in, then mark two more hole's where the two sit on one another, remove and drill two more hole's to join them together. The bolt size's, I beleive Mine are 5/8 in the T-Case, and 5/8 for the frame rail's.

4. Desert Rat

It looks like from the picture that it was a rather complicated setup with rubber bushings to handle the movement. I may be interested, let me see if I can get my hands on the stock ones. If not, I may go with the angle iron setup as suggested.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just "sandwich" three piece's of heavy rubber, or bushing's, one on top of the stack, and one in the center of the stack, and one on the bottom. To get that "body by Fischer" ride, and little vibration.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah well my bushings are poly and there a real purdy red color.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Desert Rat

Now there's an idea. I think ChevyFumes wants to unload his though... How much are they CF and where in the world did you get them? Does Energy make them or DayStar? I may have to drink and think on this one.... I do have some leftover rubber bushings from the original body mounts that I'm replacing with DayStar polyurethane ones...

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think they are energy's and they are buryed out at the shop, so if you wanna make an offer let me know...They're just 4 round bushings if you wanna find them on the ES site to get an idea of price... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Desert Rat

I did. They are called Transfer Case Torque Mounts by Energy Suspension and they are about $17. You sure it's worth it to ship them? You know anyone coming up to the SF bay area anytime soon?

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

There not heavy, let me look into it...I'm goin out to my shop tommorrow I'll look for them... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Looks a heckuva lot like this one I got off an NP205:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

That's the one's! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Seen that on Stick shift 205s but I have never found one on a 203. My bet is if they ever were on a 203 it was on the 74's with the stick shift. My 75 never had one and the holes are blocked on the 79 I had by the brace that runs from those same mounting bolts up to the bell housing.

GM beefed up the TH350 in the mid 70's to deal with the weight. That's what is comonly known as the "K" case TH350 because it had a K on the side dnoting it was a 4x4 version.

My concern with adding a 4th mount is acutally making it easier to bust the bel housing when the truck is flexed out.

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

thats it.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifso Grim your saying they were only used for manual trannys???

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I added one on to my TH350 auto, 205 setup too. Just to help it a little. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Desert Rat

I've got a K case sitting outside but it needs a rebuild, but the TH350 that is in this one is a regular one. The frame already has the smaller of the L-shaped brackets, it's just missing the larger one with the bushings. I'd like to put it back on if I can. On the Blazer I'm building to keep, I plan on going with the doubler so I won't need the bracket I believe if I use the ORD setup. I may have to go pull one if I can find one at pick n' pull..

18. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

My 1975 with TH350 / NP203 doesn't have the bracket or any hint of it ever being there.

19. Desert Rat

My other 74 has the smaller bracket with the crease in the middle, but it didn't have the rest of it. I wonder how many owners have taken it off to facilitate aftermarket exhaust, or other stuff in that area. Or maybe if your rig came with a K-case, they left it off...who knows.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I worked on a 73 with one on it.