Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 Speedo Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Overdrive, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

OK, since I am working down around the output yoke trying to get my new driveshaft installed, this is as good a time as any to ask this question. My speedo is not working. I have replaced the cable (no cruise/strait cable), spun the new cable to verify that the speedo gauge works, and I also replaced the screw in gear. My only thought is that the speedo gear inside the transfer case (203) is either worn or broken. Any ideas? Is it possible to replace the inner gear without disassembling the case?

Thanks for any info.

Overdrive

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You can pull out the gear that is mounted in the transfer case without pulling the case. It should be accessible right at the hole your speedo cable went in, I believe. Relatively easy job. Hope this helps...........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I replace my gear for about $19 at a GM parts counter. My 203 had a big metal one inside it and it easy to get to. Just pull off the cable and external converter(?) and it is just inside. Some fluid will come out but it is not much.

If you have installed bigger tires, it would be a good idea to replace the gear with one that is sized to match your tires.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

4. Overdrive

Already replaced the "pull-out" gear. It is the gear that the speedo screws into. It has a cover that holds it in place. I was referring to the internal gear that rotates on the output shaft of the t-case.

Thanks

Overdrive

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I had problems with mine and the adapter (1.3000) had an area that would bind up. The original pin was sort of rounded and when it bound up with it it would just spin around. I put a new pin in and it sheared. I went straight cable and it worked fine with the exception of the speedo indicating wrong. I ordered a new adapter today ($50).
    If you pull the speedo cable, the output shaft from the t-case should not spin. If it does, then it's either the the shaft or the gear. To pull the shaft, remove the sleeve (hex nut) and then slide the shaft out. On my 203 (1979), the main drive gear is plastic and can be removed by pulling the very back tail shaft cover. There's an "O-ring" that provides the seal and its real easy to remove. Once you have that cover off, the drive gear just slides off. There are some washers there that set the tailshaft endplay be careful and dont loose them. Also, check the output shaft bearing that is in that aft housing. Just out of curiosity, how much did the new drive shaft set you back???

6. Overdrive

Thanks for the info. Is that speedo drive gear(the one on the output shaft) plastic or steel? The drive shaft was 350.00 out the door. They could not use any of the pieces left of the stock shaft. The new one has a CV joint (not the same as on the front) on the tcase end and the slip joint is close to the pinion ujoint. The price included the yoke for the tcase. It is a wierd setup, the bolt head faces the tcase and screws into the carrier for the CV joint (a little hard to describe if you have never seen one). I am headed to Sears after work to find the 1 5/16 socket to loosen the nut.

Overdrive