Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 T-Case Rebuild Kit Price???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by crushincars, Oct 23, 2001.

1. crushincars

crushincars Registered Member

How Much Does A NP203 Re-Build Kit Cost And Is It Complicated To Do yourself???????

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My son and I just rebuilt one this summer. Less than $300 in parts, thats new chain and all seal, bearings etc. You need access to a hyd press in my opinion. We bought a cheapie for another $100. You also need a dial indicator and magnetic base if you are going to do the tolerance checks in the book. Another $30 for a cheap set. It wasn't too hard, but that thing is too heavy to lift by yourself. Make sure you have some help.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I am considering rebuilding my NP203 also. Where did you get the kit. I am having a hard time finding info. If it cost $430 total for the parts/equipment needed, would it be cheaper to just buy a rebuilt one or a NP205?

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I priced rebuilt units, they were in the $600 range. I did not want one that had a part time kit in it. Alot of the ones you find laying around seem to have those in them. To have ours rebuilt would cost us from $500-600. We had a known good unit before we started, and when we were done we knew it was right. We also had some new tools and knowledge, and my son was on summer break so the labor was cheap.[​IMG]
    We bought the parts from UTE in Phoenix, seemed like real good people 602 275-5781. Their prices were as low as any I could find on the web. If you know that you are going to go to a NP205, run the NP203 until it breaks or you have your NP205. We wanted to keep the full time ability of the NP203 for snow and bad roads, it is hard to beat in terms of longevity and handling. Our went 250,000 before we rebuilt it. It could have gone another 50k easy in my opinion.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by azblazor on 10/25/01 06:47 AM.</FONT></P>

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I haven't priced a full on 203 kit for a while but I think we can do one for about $200-$220. We sell a rangebox only kit for $120 for the Doubler. I would advise you to buy a good manual and get a good idea of what you're getting into, the back half of the 203 is kind of a pain to build. Not impossible but I'd hate to see you take it out and not be able to get it back together.

If you get into the 203 and find you need diff parts or something, let us know, we have quite a few of the diffs around. Some of them are really nice billet steel units, some are really crappy stamped units that break all the time. I think that's part of the 203 bad rep, there are some of them that really are crap. But we have more than one customer that like them and keep them for the durable full time properties. I know I would have one in a daily driver rig if I had to drive on consistantly nasty roads, especially in traffic where I may not be able to hang the tail out on corners, or may need to attempt to avoid stupid drivers.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>