Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 take apart and Doubler questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oldiron72, Feb 22, 2005.

1. oldiron72

oldiron72 Newbie

I have an NP203 27 spline count off of a TH350, (I hope, well I'm pretty sure that it is). I'm trying to take it apart and I am having trouble doing so. I want to build a doubler for my '72 Chev 4X4 TH350 w/350 motor w/NP205. I've unbolted the helical gear case from the chain case and it is almost coming apart except a bar or maybe it is a linkage bar that goes from one helical gear part of the case to the other part of the case (chain drive part of the case). It is an internal bar connecting the two halves. :confused: My questions is how do I get the NP203 case to completely seperate? Anyone out there know how to take an NP203 apart so I can begin to build my doubler?

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are 3 pieces to the 203. The range box, chain case, and tail housing. You have to remove each seperately. Get all of the bolts out of the tail housing (the yoke doesn't matter). Pull it off, there is a flange fit so it might take some tugging/tapping. Then you can see that rod inside the chain case, there is a pin you need to remove so the bar will fall out. Unbolt the chain case and pull. There will be about 5 dozen needle bearings falling out. Don't worry. You need about 10 of the larger bearings (1/2"long and as big around as a cheap bic pen). That wil get it apart and ready for double assembly. You can change the seals and bearing in the range box if you want.

3. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

When you get your tailhousing tapped off, drive this roll pin thru the shift fork:

[​IMG]

Then wiggle the shift fork off. This is what the rod is that is connecting your range box to your chaincase.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont for get the product review section there is a sweet list of steps and lots of pics.