Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 to NP205 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Crispy, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Crispy

Crispy Registered Member

Hey,

I have a 76 GMC Ex-Canadian Military 5/4 Ton. The truck has a 1 Ton Rear End and a Dana 44 HD front End. It presently has a GM NP203 Transfer Case, which has seen better days. I am changing it to a GM NP205. I know that I will need the adapter plate for my Turbo 350 Transmission and new Drive Shafts due to the different length of the Cases, and different Collar. The NP203 is a full time Case where the NP205 is only part time.

My question is this: Do I have to install Lock Out Hubs to run the NP205? The NP203 does not use them.

Please reply only if you are sure.

Thanks,

Chris

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

No... you do not need manual hubs - but I would recommend them anyway.

Marv

3. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

You do not have to install lockout hubs. You currently have drive flanges that keep the axle locked in. The advantage to lockouts is that the axle could be disconnect from the tires while in two wheel drive. This would get you a little better gas mileage.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

4. Crispy

Crispy Registered Member

Thank you guys!

Chris