Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 to NP205 Swap '73 Blazer with TH350 Transmission

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Apr 4, 2002.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

NP203 to NP205 Swap \'73 Blazer with TH350 Transmission

Hi Folks...I have a 1973 Blazer with a TH350 and NP203 transfer case. I've found an NP205 (the TH350) version at a junkyard and I'd like to replace my NP203 with the NP205.
    Here are my questions:

1. Will I need to replace BOTH the front and rear driveshafts or just the rear one?

2. What is the difference between a driveshaft with the slip yoke on the shaft and a solid driveshaft with the slip yoke on the transfer case?

3. What should I look for when buying a used NP205 transfer case? Any tips on what to look for without having to disasessmble the case?

Thanks,
    Diana

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: NP203 to NP205 Swap \'73 Blazer with TH350 Transmission

1)** Deleted** I swapped to a manual tranny at the same time so Mine were both different..sorry

2)The difference is with the slip yoke on the shaft you have the option of driving with it out, meaning..if you break a u-joint on the trail or bend a driveline you can remove it and drive home or somewhere to fix it. With the type that slids into the tranny you can't remove it without losing the fluids outof the T-case. Fixed yokes tend to have less vibes.

3)make sure it is indeed a 205. make sure the spline count on the input shaft is the same as your current TH350. Move it through all the gears, making sure you can "feel" each gear. Also with it in gear move the two outputs in different directions to check for slop, it should be fairly tight.

Hope this helps.
    BTW why not stack the cases,/forums/images/icons/wink.gifDOUBLER!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif