Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np203 Transfer Case Clicking/Clunking.....ouch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Oct 12, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I did some tough driving today in the mountains cause I was up hunting, and this evening in town all the sudden over my radio I hear this loud hard clunking/clicking sound, at first I thought it was this Ford next to me so I laughed but when I pulled by him I noticed it was me. AT first I thought it was a blown header gasket, but when the engine is in nutral she runs like a top, but once in gear and moving there is just this hard clicking/clunking noise and its seems to be coming right from the middle of my truck. I can feel the clunking though my transfer case shifter, I have a np203 and th350 with a 350ci. I have manual hubs, and can can drive with the hubs unlocked and in 4loc the clicking comes and goes but is still harsh. Any one heard of this before?? any help? Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Have you been putting it in lock to refill the reservior in the tail shaft to prevent the tail shaft bearings from getting fried from lack of oil?
    Check your driveshaft too.

3. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

i had the same problem yesterday in my 78K5- when i hit a bump it would come and go- finally i hit on bump and it stopped completely. i hope it doesn't come back- but yes, i've had that problem too. thing is that on thursday i got my truck back from an engine swap and i'm hopoing they didn't [censored] it up. maybe they drained it? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 76_Cheyenne

I don't have the part-time conversion, and I just changed thefluid about 2,000 miles ago.

5. 76_Cheyenne

Is there anything I can start checking, In im a dorm parking lot with limited tools, im going to take off the front driveshaft to see if I cant narrow it down.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Is it only doing it in four-loc? Sounds like it could be a bad chain to me.

7. Grim-Reaper

If your getting a little shudder under hard acceleration with the noise then it sounds like a bad joint in the front Drive shaft CV. That would be my bet. Probably looking at about a $25-45 dollar repair if you can do the Joints yourself.
    As long as it hasn't run with out oil these cases usually do pretty good. Since it is unconverted, other than a loose chain, there is very little that usualy goes wrong.

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Just as a precaution, check your ujoints. I had one go bad while going 65mph down the free way. Wasn't pretty. I heard a clunk, clunk, clunk then a slam, slam, slam, etc.. I thought I threw a rod or the front axle was chewing the gears.

The front ujoint next to the front axle went and the front drive shaft started flopping around. I have a fulltime 203 and I lost all power since the front shaft was just spinning. I was able to shift into 4loc and get it off the road.

The front shaft smashed both my headers and dented in my oil pan. The front axle was leaking too but I was lucky nothing major happened.

I would do a visual check and make sure the ujoints are good and they are tight. As said before, make sure the drive shaft to yoke is good and also check the cv joint. Check your transfer case oil level also. If these are good it is probably in your transfer case.

I wish you luck.

9. 76_Cheyenne

I just replaced all the ujoints a few thousand miles ago, along with the cv joint. It does it in all the gears, hloc-Lloc. Im going to take off the front driveshaft to see if I can make anything of it.

10. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

If I haven't learned anything else in my life, I've learned that u-joints on K5's have no life expectancy. I'm happy if I get 5-10 miles out of mine before replacing them. In fact, I stock them just to make sure. If you were wheeling in it, and if you have any lift or tires at all on it, then you can expect them to go at any time.

Check them out first. Make sure your u bolts are tight. I'd also take the drive shaft off and see if it's not bent or anything like that.

I've had that grinding noise, and it was my shift forks. I just put a new t-case in. I'll admit, I know nothing about 203's since I've never owned one or even touched one, so I don't know what it could be if it's in the t-case.

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm happy if I get 5-10 miles out of mine before replacing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The parts store must love you.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I think It is time to invest in a Driveline from highangle driveline... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. abusedtrucks

Yes they do. I'm there usually at least once a week. I love those guys. They always get me hooked up for whatever crazy sh%@ I'm about to do to my Blazer.

They even invite me to wheel with them now. I wonder why that is?

13. Grim-Reaper

You have something wrong if your going through joints that quick. THe rear joints in my truck were in it when I bought it 4 years ago and I run 6 inches of lift in the rear.
    I had to replace the fronts from lack of maintances from previous owner. They were dry.
    If you have the angles correct there is no reason not to get 50k out of a u-joint with proper maintance (lube ever3k if they are that style)

14. abusedtrucks

I'd like to think that too, but I've just accepted it. If there are any possible fixes for this, I'd be more than open to hearing about them.

I've replaced the driveshafts many times as well. I probably put 6 or 7 shafts on that thing this summer alone. I go through yokes, drive shafts, and u-joints like they are going out of style. I can pretty much break them on command.

I've lowered the t-case almost 2 inches thinking that would help, but I still break them. I usually don't think too much of it because I really only use it for wheeling, so I just accept the fact that things break.

15. 76_Cheyenne

I think were getting a little off the topic, haha. I took it for a drive around the parking lot and have some new info, It almost make more of a slapping noise now that gets progressive as a I go faster, but then I let off the gas and it stops then starts up again lightly. Also when I put it in 4loc the clicking gets more intense, and slowly going around a corner it knocks like crazy, the truck actually jumps and shakes like its on CRACK, and jerks around somehow. and i did this whole drive holding onto the transfer case shiter and I felt everynoise through the shifter. I didnt have to be going fast at all or have the revs up, I just back up and forward and it makes the noise like it was on a rotation. Does this new info help solve my problem at all?

16. Grim-Reaper

Front CV.
    Mine went like that. I looked at it installed in the truck a dozen times and didn't see a problem. Finnaly made a noise I recognized as a U-Joint. Looked great till I had it in my hand and inspected it and could see all sorts of slop from bown out bearings in one of the caps.

17. 76_Cheyenne

Ok well im going to head outside now and take off the front drive shaft and see, but I just replaced that whole assembly not very long ago. Ill let you know in a bit.
    Thanks.

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The description you just gave could be the CV but most likely the chain, I just had that a couple of months ago.
    If your CV is good, it's the chain.

19. 76_Cheyenne

Grim Reaper your a man of your word. I pulled out the driveshaft and one of the U-Joint snap rings had poped out and the ujoint slid hlafway out, cause all sort of a mess. I hammered it back in and put a new snap ring on and its running great, thanks for the help guys.

20. Grim-Reaper

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif told ya
    Chains make loud bangs when they are loose and they jump a tooth.
    Get on a steep hill and put it in low (not lock) and hammer the throttle. If you get a bang or two the chain is loose.