Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP203 transfer case question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, May 10, 2004.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

I am used to a part time 4 wheel drive, but I recently came across a 76 Jimmy and it has full time 4 wheel drive (NP203 case) and I was wondering if anyone knew the advantages (if there is any) and the disadvantages of this transfer case. Also I was reading a sticker in the truck that said Neutral was for a power take-off, does anyone know exactly what that means? Thanx for any info!!

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I can think of no advantage to having a 203. I know what it was designed for, but it is no advantage to me. The chain goes around all of the time which makes them wear out fast and the shifter has some type of "slide linkage" contraption in it that can be potentially problematic.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know. Ole Wimpy has a 203 in it and I've been happy with it. Just lock it in and go. If you don't have locked differentials and I wouldn't worry. If you start gettin all big boy and such you might wanna look into a part time kit and what not but until then just drive and enjoy.

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I blew up/ruined 8 203's in a matter of 18 months, switched to a 205 and haven't had any trouble yet. They are big, heavy, chain drive, and have a crappy linkage. If you can stay away from one, I would.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

203's seem to always know the best times to break - driving down the highway at 70 mph, in the deepest part of the mud pit, etc....

Something else I don't care for much about the 203's when in a vehicle that sees a fair amount of street use is the increased wear on front end parts (driveshaft, axle joints, carrier...)