Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supernaut, Jul 24, 2005.

1. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

I'm getting ready to wrestle my NP203 back into place. where is the fill hole on these? there is a square plug with a 1/2" drive type looking nub on it. that looks like it will be about halfway up the np203 case when it's installed. should i pump gear oil in that sucker? is 1/2 way full sound right? My manual is one of those plain vanilla haynes/chilton types and shows drain and fill plugs that are not present on my tcase.

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

your fill plug will be on the back of the case aout half way up with a square head pipe plug, and you want to refill with 10w30 not gear oil, the gear oil is too thick for the 203.

3. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Yes, that sounds like the correct plug. To fill it I drilled a hole in the floor pan right above the transfercase and put a big rubber hose down through and into the plug and funneled the 10w30 in. Made it VERY easy. Mine is strickly a trail rig though, so that might not work for you. I put about 3 or 3.5 quarts of oil in too.

4. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

thanks for the tips! I'll make sure i put the right damn oil in it. It has smelled strongly of the fishy gear oil stench the whole time i've had it out. 10w-30 doesn't do that, right?

well i'll check the manual and make sure we are all on the same page. i hope the previous owner didn't pump gear oil in the sucker. if so i'll do a couple of drain and fills over the next 2,000 miles to get it all flushed out. good god i hope he didn't use synthetic gear oil.

5. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

My oil came out pretty easy. I removed the 2 bottom bolts on the circular bolt pattern directly under the plug and it all came out. Mine was actually a milky looking color with a little brown to it. Too many creeks and mud puddles :crazy:

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Tom E,
    this is off the subject, but you live in Columbus??? I live not far from there, and go to CSU. We need to go mud boggin!! email me at speedy_buck@hotmail.com

sorry about the annyoing post yall... I am going to chance the oil in my 203 the this weekend as well., I was wondering, so I need to put anytype of thread sealant on the bottom drain bolt??

7. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Cool. We have a local club here in Columbus. You should check it out and come riding with us. http://www.HavocOffroad.com/

8. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Tom E,
    where do yall meet? what type of wheelin do yall do and how many people are in the club? how do I join? Where do yall wheel?

9. Tom E

Tom E Registered Member

Sorry to high jack the forum. Y'all can move this post if you need to.
    You can sign-up at http://www.havocoffroad.com/forum-register-new.html be sure to introduce yourself. We have a few different places we go riding. We usually post up about a week before we meet with all the details. We do just about everything...some of the guys are CRAZY :bow: we don't do the muddin to much, cause it tends to brake a lot more stuff. Come on over, and we'll give you all the details. :wink1: