Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np203?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by STARSCREAM, Apr 25, 2007.

1. STARSCREAM

STARSCREAM Registered Member

I just got this truck. How can I tell if my 1977 K5 has a part time kit put on? It has front locking hubs. I cant realy figure out the shift pattern.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'd unlock the hubs, jack the back end up, and have somebody watch the front driveshaft. Note that the brakes won't stop the front with the hubs unlocked so you just gotta turn the engine off between shifts.

The rearmost two settings are 2WD if it's been part-timed, so in its usual one-click-from-the-back (2Hi or Hi) the front driveshaft will turn if it's fulltime, or WON'T turn if it's part-time.

Should be 4Lo, all the way forward, 2Lo, then N, 2Hi, and 4Hi all the way back if it's been part-timed.

Full-time is as marked, which I think is Lo Loc, Lo, N, Hi, Hi Loc. The lock/unlock for the center diff is now the 2/4WD selection.

My memopry is a bit fuzzy, so I could be wrong.

All make sense?

-- A

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

This part about the brakes not stopping when the hubs are unlocked and turning off teh engine between shifts has me confused. :confused:

I think the rest is pretty accurate.

Put the shifter in Hi and see if the front shaft turns- with the hubs unlocked and the rear in the air. If it turns no part time is installed. It says in BOLD letters in the chiltons to not run a 203 that hasn't been converted with the hubs unlocked. If I were you I wouldn;t waste time with converting it- i'd just look for a 205.

4. STARSCREAM

STARSCREAM Registered Member

Thanks for the info I am going to try what you sed as soon as I get off of work. I will probably go with the 205 if I can Save up the $ thanks.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, if the front shaft is turning, with the hubs unlocked, there's no way to stop it ... brakes won't work since the front wheels aren't turning.

Suppose you coul jack up both ends and leave the front hubs locked, but that means more jack stands.

-- A

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If the front shaft does spin then the drivetrane would stop with the rear brakes/driveshaft/t-case/front shaft- Wouldn't it??? Well maybe not since the t-case shifter would be in HI in stead of HI LOCK. If it doesn't spin then only the rear will turn. Am I thinking this to death?

Hey a used 205 in decent shape will likely be less then the parttime kit and install for the 203. You will have to get a different d-shafts though. Something to consider. If you can find stock d-shafts from a 205 equiped truck you would be in business- that is- If you have less then 6" of lift.