Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

kinda new to the K5 world, I have a np203 and she will only shift 3 times I guess L N H my question is what is the Lloc Hloc? should there be 5 shift points to go along with the diagram or am I just a brain dead newbie? she has locking hubs don't know if that would effect the shift pattern.
    thanks

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've noticed (at least on mine) that shifting slowly will only yield H N L. In order to get into H-Loc and L-Loc, I have to push hard and fast /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif on the shifter.
    I tore the shifter apart and realized that in order to achieve Loc position in H and L that the shifter was "gated". The lock mechanism on the t-case moves one way, but shifting into Loc on the shifter is accomplished by either pushing it all the way forward or all the way backward. It order to achieve the same motion from two different input directions, the shifter was "gated". In order to trigger the gate, you need to push fast and hard. There could also be a problem with the linkage, but I would try that first.

3. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Leadfoot

4. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Check the linkage adjustment too; it's often not right. Easy but awkward, any chilton/haynes has the procedure or try here: linkage adjustment procedure

If you have manual locking hubs the the 203 may have been converted to part time operation. Linkage adjustment is still the same.

The shifter is labeled

L loc
    L
    N
    H
    H loc

Originally this meant "4wd-lock-low, 4wd-low, N, 4wd-hi, 4wd-lock-hi".

With a part time kit it means "4wd-lock-low, 2wd-lo, N, 2wd-hi, 4wd-lock-hi".

If your hubs are unlocked and you're in the "H" or "L" setting and you can drive the truck, then your transfer case has been converted to part time.

cheers,
    Kevin

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    kinda new to the K5 world, I have a np203 and she will only shift 3 times I guess L N H my question is what is the Lloc Hloc? should there be 5 shift points to go along with the diagram or am I just a brain dead newbie? she has locking hubs don't know if that would effect the shift pattern.
    thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

It shifts better when rolling. Get rolling about 5mph throw the tranny in N and shift then put back into gear. The case is called a shift on the fly.
    Try doing a search on "203" there should be 100's of posts about them.