Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 3:1 kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 13, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone still working on this? I know JB Conversions has their LowMax setup, its passenger side drop only so far. Going to stick with my 4 speed and 241 combo. But I'd like to put a 205 behind that, just stock 205 gear ratio SUCKS. Will be like 102" wheelbase, I don't want to go doubler. A 3:1 205 would be PERFECT. Great ratio, twin stick would give me the front wheel drive option I'd like to have, and all that strength of a 205.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

As far as I know JB Conversions is the only company working on this and everything still points to "coming soon". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm sure you know this has been going on for a while now with nothing materializing except the pics on the Lomax page. I find it strange that no one has surfaced anywhere stating they have tested or are testing this product. I'd like to see it but I'm really becoming skeptical about this ever happening.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The case is really too small to contain the proper size gears to keep at least the original strength. As on gear gets smaller the other gear must get bigger as they are proportional. I think the actual size restraints are the largest obsticle. WMS made the 3:1 NP203 kit and it still has to be machined open and plated. If the klune-V would be made with the correct input and bolt patterns (allowing you to delete the factory adapter) I could see that as a very good option but a bit more $$.

4. nvrenuf

The Lomax 3:1 kit is supposed to include a new case body as well as the low ratio gear set.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

There was a thread not too long ago on Pirate... new case and all... with pictures of it. Looked real nice, but was very spendy.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the Lomax includes a new case. I'm looking around, at options. Billa posted an article about puting 3.15:1 gears in his Dana 20. I wonder if I could get a Ford Dana 20 and put a 32 spline input gear on it to mate to my trans. I was thinking Dana 300 but I don't think there is a driver side drop version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

7. Lomax

Lomax Registered Member

There are no testing reports because there are no kits being tested yet. The gear prototypes are complete. We are now in the process of prototyping the new case. This is a long process. Much longer than I would like. Also, it is not the only thing we have going in R&D therefore the amount of time we can devote to it's completion is shared with other things. * John- JB Conversions, Inc.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awsome man thanks alot for the update, its always better to hear it straight from the horses mouth /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    awsome man thanks alot for the update, its always better to hear it straight from the horses mouth /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    There are no testing reports because there are no kits being tested yet. The gear prototypes are complete. We are now in the process of prototyping the new case. This is a long process. Much longer than I would like. Also, it is not the only thing we have going in R&D therefore the amount of time we can devote to it's completion is shared with other things. * John- JB Conversions, Inc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear this is still alive! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Any chance of a sneak peak at the case?

BTW - Welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I see you've been around for a while, I feel honored to have sparked your first post. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Lomax

Lomax Registered Member

I'll have photos of the new case as soon as the final prototype is in hand but it will be a while.

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder if I could get a Ford Dana 20 and put a 32 spline input gear on it to mate to my trans. I was thinking Dana 300 but I don't think there is a driver side drop version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford D20's that are driver's side are from Broncos. I know you can do 3.15 gears for them, as I have a neighbor who's running that setup. I'd be leary of a D20 behind a healthy V8 and in a fullsize truck tho... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I know of no driver's side D300. Couple of guys on PBB are flipping them over and spending a lot of time reworking the shifter setup to the top. Still, you'd have to invest in an aftermarket rear output and possibly gears to get what you want.

I kick these same issues around alot in my head..... Still, no matter how you slice it - the 205 is the only worry free box out there, so... the best bet is to wait for this 3:1 setup, or go Doubler.

Marv

13. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    I kick these same issues around alot in my head..... Still, no matter how you slice it - the 205 is the only worry free box out there, so... the best bet is to wait for this 3:1 setup, or go Doubler.

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a Doubler AND a 3:1 205, combine that with a 4spd and it would be c-r-a-z-y! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I believe Billa's setup is a 465 to a 203 to a Dana 20 with 3.15:1 gears in it.

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

What about IH Dana 20 and 300's? Aren't they passenger drop?

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Lomax 3:1 kit is supposed to include a new case body as well as the low ratio gear set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm totally serious:
    If the case (housing) itself is different, along with the gears, how is this still going to be a NP205 transfer case? Where's the "break point", where it stops being a "New Process 205 transfer case" and becomes a "JB Conversions Lomax transfer case"?

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you put those in with a doubler, would that be good slow, or really to slow?

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Depends on your tires/rear end gears etc but I think it would be pretty darn slow. 3x slower than it would be before installed.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes! That would be slow then /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If the case (housing) itself is different, along with the gears, how is this still going to be a NP205 transfer case?

[/ QUOTE ]
    All of the outside dim's, mounting points etc. remain the same as a 205. If you have a 205 now, you would be able to install the lomax as a direct replacement without effecting driveshaft length, crossmember mounting adapters, shifters.