Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 700R4 adapter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Feb 25, 2003.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I called Advanced Adapters to order an adapeter to mate a TH350 NP205 to a TH700R4. I thought I was ordering a 1" spacer but all they had for sale was a shorter output shaft. Does someone else sell the spacer or is that not the way to go?
    Thanks in advance!

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

adapter link Try this
    It is an adapter that goes on 700r4 that allows the use of 205 w/o new output shaft. new shaft requires teardown of tranny.
    next time try a search, I discovered some people around here get rathered upset at newbies who don't search first

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    adapter link Try this
    It is an adapter that goes on 700r4 that allows the use of 205 w/o new output shaft. new shaft requires teardown of tranny.
    next time try a search, I discovered some people around here get rathered upset at newbies who don't search first

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your help.
    I am usually very tolerant if the subject hasn't been discussed for a few months at least, I get really pissed when I see 3 posts on the same page, same day, from 3 newbies on the exact same subject.
    We are here to help each other, and the only reason we would be upset from that is that it takes time from someone that has a new question that can't be answered by a search.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you still have questions after reading the thread in the link your friend found then ask away.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. actually this was written by my girlfriend while I talked her through it from work where I have no net access. I even had her do a search first but this info didn't come up just the advance adapter, she also didn't know what to look for they were just numbers to her. I understand the reason for the search sugestion, no problem.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The adapter in the link works like a charm. I recently installed one on mine. I hope to have pics and a brief write-up within a few weeks or so. You will still need to cut about 3/8" off your tranny output shaft to get everything to bolt up snugly. Go slow about it so as not to build up too much heat. I also got some grade 8 all thread to make some studs for attaching everything to the tranny. The studs that come with the adapter aren't quite long enough for this application.

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

3/8"?....I've read posts saying 1/8", 1/4" now it's up to 3/8"? I haven't taken a measurement of the splines with the sleeve on but isn't that cutting down the amount of engagement? I'm still planning on ordering one but I may try cutting it in half and adding 1/4" material to the center. what was this adapter originally made for?

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The tailshaft coming out of a 700 is VERY long. The splines alone are probably 5-6 inches long. The sleeve that engages the splines only goes on about 2 maybe 2 1/2 inches. Trimming off about 3/8" makes no difference or impact on this at all. The end of the sahft from the 700 has a slope to it. I cut right where the splines started. Again, this does not really have much of an impact on the strength or engagement of the splines.

The adapter is actually made for swapping in a 350 in place of a 700. It allows the tranny output of the 350 to be extended so it is the same length overall as the 700 tranny.

One more thing, you have heard 1/8" from BOTH shafts. That would be around 1/4" total. I cut off roughly 3/8" from just the 700 shaft. I did not modify the 205 input at all. I did this as their is a great deal more spline on the 700 output than the 205 input. In addition, the sleeve will only slide so far onto the 205 input before bottoming out against the case. So my decision was to cut all out of the 700 output. And, as heavy as a 205 is, you don't want to do all this once only to find out you didn't trim enough and have to lower everything out of the ay and start over.

8. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks again for the info, I won't worry about the engagement anymore.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Brian, what did you use to cut the shaft? I went the replacement output shaft route, now I wished I had done the spacer as the replacement shaft causes tranny pan to CV clearance issues.