Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 brace

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yoshisv, Jun 22, 2006.

1. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I recently swaped a sm465/np205 combo into my blazer. Is there supose to be a brace that goes from the transfercase to the right side motor mount? If it is i need one.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

There are two different types of torque control. One is a rod that goes from the side of the 205 to one of the trans bellhousing bolts. I do not know if this was available with the manual trans. The other is a clam shell style bracket that bolts to the frame and uses a bushing between the two.

Both can be found on ebay.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I believe the rod style support was only with the 700r4 and you had to have the plates that mounted under the engine mounts, the two rods, and the cast transmission cover. I did this with my 700r4 that I swapped into my 76 Blazer. You can just see the end of the rods in this pic:

[​IMG]

The second kind was the bracket that goes on the side of the TC and attaches to the frame like this:

[​IMG]

The TC may or may not have two holes drilled in the case for the side mount. The NP205 I sold had the holes, the rebuilt one I got from ORD did not. If you clock your NP205, then forget the side mount unless you fab something up.

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering, I see a lot of people that run their truck without the side mount that bolts to the passenger side frame rail. I had to take mine off when I dropped my case to help with driveshaft angle, which im sure it why a lot of other trucks dont have them on too. Is that brace really necessary? Ive never had any trouble without mine on there and ive never heard of anyone else either. Ive been wanting to fab a new bracket just so I fell better about it but should I even worry?

5. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Yeah my k5 had a 700R4 when i got it, And it had the two support rods and one big torque rod to the TC. My Np205 has the two holes drilled in it, So i guess the search is on for the rod to the TC.

Thanks Guys

6. Desert Rat

Can you snap a photo of the one big rod to the TC? I've never seen that one. I think the need for the support is going to vary depending on the load you put on it. I tend to follow the "they put it there for a reason" philosphy. Since I had to forsake my side mount when I did my doubler, I put the rods in from the tranny to the engine mounts. I wish I had the side mount as well.

7. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I dont have a digital camera, But i will see what i can do.

8. Desert Rat

Maybe somebody has one from a manual somewhere.....

9. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I believe the clam shell or frame style was the earlier version used in the early '70's on TH350's. I had a 1976 that had NO brace on it , and broke the tail end of the TH350 3 seperate times. {BTW it had the heavy 203tc on it} Now my 1980 Blazer had the rod braces with the TH350 and 205. Again its on another auto tranny, to help the alum. tranny case support the weight of the heavy cast iron T/C.
    Just my .02 but I dont think you need the brace with the strong cast iron manuel tranny case.

10. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

The reason i want one is i already broke the adapter that mates the Np205 to the sm465 once. I dont want to break another adapter, They are getting hard to come by.