Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP205 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blue manalishi, Jul 19, 2004.

1. blue manalishi

blue manalishi Newbie

I have a nice 74 Blazer and I am intirested in converting the NP203 to an NP205. Where can I find instructions on how to make the swap? Are adapters required etc?? I would appreciate anyone who could point me to a source of technical info. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When you get the NP205, get the adaptor, sleeve, shifter, and front and rear drive shafts. Remove the NP203 and replace with NP205. I did mine in less than an hour.

3. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

The best way to do this conversion is to find a donor truck in a boneyard. The parts are all easily interchangeable (a wonderful thing about GM stuff), so the swap is really a no brainer. The donor will (ideally) have to yield the adapter, tcase, crossmember, shifter, and driveshafts. Some of these parts may not be needed, but grab them anyway if you can - just in case. A little degreaser and some sweat and you should be in business.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifOILBURNER /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Everyone forgot the most important part, you need to make sure the NP205 is coming from the same type tranny, TH350, TH400, SM465. Each T-case is different on the input gear spline count. A TH350 version will have a 27 spline male input, TH400 will have a 32 spline female input, and a SM465 will have a 10 spline male input if it is an early version or I believe a 32 spline male if later version. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blue manalishi

blue manalishi Newbie

Thanks to everyone for the help. That's a lot of good information and has gotten me on the right track. I'm headed for the junk yard.